turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which state? Which species?

Started by drenalinld, June 25, 2011, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

If you could only choose one state to hunt and one species to hunt in that state if it had multiple species of wild turkeys, which state and which species would you choose and why???

I would choose Easterns in Missouri. Their gobble in that big open timber has not been matched in my hunting travels. Thunder like no other I have found!

savduck

If I could only ever hunt one place ever again I would choose to stay right here at home to chase my GA easterns. We get a generous limit every season of 3 birds, and we can hunt many different habitats throughout the state on an abundance of public lands. Swamps, mountain, fields, timber, etc. I would love to travel more, but if I couldnt, it would be just fine.
Georgia Boy

wisconsinteacher

I have never hunted out side of Zone 4 in WI but if I had to travel, it would be to NE or KS.

TRKYHTR

I could not even begin to answer this question. There is just so many places that have their own habitat and uniqueness thats makes each one special. The turkeys are the same way. When I hunt an Osceola I want it in the swapms with palmettos around. The Easterns in the hardwood bottoms. The Rios in the plains, and fields and the Merriams in the mountains. If You have hunted each of these I don't know how you could pick one over the other. But I do like the way the Easterns gobble in the south. Sounds like they want to eat you.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

guesswho

If I only had one hunt left in my life and knew it, I'd head back to South Florida.  Thats where it all began for me as a kid in the late 60's , and I can't think of a better place for it to end.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

I wouldn't ever want to have to choose. But if I did, I'd probably go with Oklahoma Rios. Where I hunted them there were tons of them, they gobbled like crazy, and were so much fun to hunt. But I love travelling and hunting different species, seeing new habitat and going places I've never been before. That's why I would never want to have to choose.

hookedspur

If I had only one hunt left I use it on a little farm in Jackson Co. WV.  :love5:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ncturkey

If I only had one hunt let. I would hunt easterns in the mountains of North Carolina with my daughter. North Carolina is my home state. It has some very good hunting. I feel blessed to live in such a great state. It is great to hear them big ole eastern's thunderous gobbles in the morning.

Old Gobbler

Florida , Its where I live , I have hunted many unique places but in the end there is only one South Florida and that's what I prefer over anything else
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

YELPA

drenalinld

:you_rock:
Quote from: Hookspur on June 25, 2011, 06:34:16 PM
PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!

I have trouble narrowing my favorite states down to a top 30. There's no way that I could ever pick a favorite place or a favorite subspecies!
:you_rock:

WiLL B

I would have to pick right here at home in South MS but I sure enjoy hunting other states. Glad I get to hunt other sub species in the plains and mountains.

drenalinld

Quote from:  link=topic=11294.msg129408#msg129408 date=1309177946
Favorite subspecies, is the one I'm hunting at the time. 

The best thing about hunting different parts of the country is the country you encounter.  It's hard to beat a Florida swamp osceola, or a Rocky Mountain merriams, or a Texas mesquite country rio.  But a hardwoods eastern is every bit as special.
I really need to hunt a few swamp Osceola's and a few mtn Merriam's. It seems most favor what they cut their teeth on, but isn't it great to have opportunity to chase them all.

Wingbone

I would have to stay right here in TN. The terrain changes so drastically from west to east that I will never get bored here. Of course it doesn hurt that you can kill 4 in spring and 2-3 in fall depending on where you are. My Rio and Osceola trips will always hold a very special place in my heart but the Eastern Thunder just rocks my foundation a little more than the others.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Gadget

Easterns in the southeast for sure, if I had to choose 1 state it would be either alabama or south carolina. I've hunted all of the subspecies, find easterns to be the most challenging and rewarding. Unlike some, easier is not better for me.

sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk