OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lowcountry April Fools gobbler

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 02, 2023, 12:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Got permission yesterday to access a new piece of land to turkey hunt this trip. My hunting partner and I drove the golf cart in before daybreak. We got to where the trail ended, and I owl called. Immediately 2 gobblers fired off 100 yards from us back in the pine rows. Then 2 other gobblers fired off in either direction. We worked our way down a 5th row and quickly set up about 10 yards apart.
It was getting near fly down time, and hens fired up, which the gobblers loved. I called on my diaphragm and the gobblers hammered back their approval. We heard multiple birds fly down. The gobblers hammered again and were headed our way.
Then a big gobbler stepped out at 20 yards, walking to my right and he started putting. Not sure what he saw, but he knew something wasn't right. Hens were yelping and clucking, and the other gobblers were still hammering, so we were still in the hunt.
I caught movement 40 yards to my right as the big gobbler crossed through the pine row we were on. I quickly got my gun up and pointed in that direction. Next a hen came out, followed by the second gobbler. He stepped into a low spot in the pine row, and looked around. There was a small maple with a V in it. His head and neck were above the V. I put the green dot on his neck, and let the TSS fly. He went down, a hen flew and another hen ran across the pine row. The first gobbler hammered in excitement.
I eased my gun to my lap, and called, hoping to give my friend a chance. The hen responded and the gobbler hammered in excitement. This went on for a half hour with the gobbler hammering close by but out of sight. I caught a glimpse of him 2 times in the pines. The hen that flew up finally flew back down to the other turkeys. Then they all walked away.
An exciting hunt on the first time we set foot on the property.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

WiLL B

Turkeybutt

Congratulations bud! Nice hunt and a great bird.
Thanks for sharing

tomstopper

Awesome. Congratulations

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!! And good luck to y'all this spring.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Dr Juice