Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening Day in Mississippi

Started by harleytom, March 15, 2023, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Well, felt like it was Montana rather than Mississippi this morning, brisk 27 degrees. Nothing sounded off the roost (breaks probably froze shut). I bought a Tristar Viper in .410 for my grandsons to hunt with (wink, wink) when they get older and have become enamored with the little gun. I determined before the season that my goal was to take a gobbler with the gun. I settled into my wait and see area under a large pine by a small field and decided to just sit as long as I could and enjoy the day as it began to warm up quickly, proving I was in Mississippi. After a couple of hours a pair on hens came in and hung around feeding so I was being entertained. Someone came down the field road about 100 yards away and they spooked. A few minutes later I heard a shot on the property across the county road, I thought well that's they may have messed up my odds but let's give it a bit longer. After giving it 30 minutes to settle down again I began to hit my box call as loudly as I could trying to make something happen. 20 minutes later this old boy came quick walking in from behind my right shoulder, of course where I didn't expect him to come from. When he got to my decoys and had his back to me I raised the little .410 and dropped the hammer at 17 yards! He's a 2 year old but I am proud to have taken him with all the obstacles and it being my first gobbler with a .410. I've got a feeling he may not be my last, hope my grandsons don't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianb3006

Nice bird! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

snoman4

Dr Juice

Mossyguy

Yoder409

ATTA BOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!    :you_rock:

Annnnnnnnd..............we ROLLIN' !!!!!

:z-guntootsmiley: 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

zsully

Congrats Harley!!!! Nice bird......and just like that I've lost all motivation to do anything that isn't turkey related!

JeffC

Congrats, good story to go along with a fine opening day bird.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Way to go, fantastic job. Congrats!!
"Solo hunter"

twyatt

Happy

Congrats sir. Glad you had a memorable day.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Delmar ODonnell

Congratulations! I bet that .410 is a joy to carry around!

harleytom

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on March 16, 2023, 10:32:07 AM
Congratulations! I bet that .410 is a joy to carry around!
Thanks, yes almost a big a difference as moving from 12 to 20 gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POk3s

Vintage