Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Whats your go to.

Started by Moore, March 14, 2023, 08:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moore

I was wondering what my fellow teammates go to call is. For me I would say it would be a mouth call and if I need more volume I would switch to the crystal mistress. My favorite turkey sound is a kee kee run. I like to use that if I know if the Tom is with a hen, or if I'm competing the toms attention with another hen. The first I took is with using a kee kee run. Let get a little conversation going.
[

ScottTaulbee

My go to is always a ghost cut mouth call, followed by a trumpet. If that doesn't work I'll go to my glass call. This year I'm torn though, I have a couple pots I'm wanting to take including one that I made but I hardly ever use a pot. I might just carry it as a primary call and try to save my mouth call for the putt to kill him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey harvester

My mouth call does almost everything I need. If its windy I got a couple custom pot calls I'll try.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

jumiss

I like the Woodhaven Ninja Hammer mouth call.

For my pot, I use the Woodhaven Legend glass.

Got a nice gobbler this opening season morning in MS with that combo.

TrackeySauresRex

I usually hit them with the squealing hen call. This has been my go too for years and never fails. They run right into this one and BooM!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Moore

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 15, 2023, 02:21:04 PM
I usually hit them with the squealing hen call. This has been my go too for years and never fails. They run right into this one and BooM!
:TooFunny: :TooFunny:
[

Kygobblergetter

I always use a ghost cut mouth call. Can't remember the last bird I shot using anything else. That being said I am going to try to make myself use the trumpet a little bit more this year. It sounds great but I have so much confidence in my mouth call that I always end up using it in the heat of the moment

Moore

Quote from: Moore on March 14, 2023, 08:18:31 PM
I was wondering what my fellow teammates go to call is. For me I would say it would be a mouth call and if I need more volume I would switch to the crystal mistress. My favorite turkey sound is a kee kee run. I like to use that if I know if the Tom is with a hen, or if I'm competing the toms attention with another hen. The first I took is with using a kee kee run. Let get a little conversation going.
I have a few trumpets that were given to me but I really can't run them that well
[

birdman67

This is a tough one for me. No doubt, I like a v-cut mouth call better than anything else. However, I also like a red slate or my box when I want something different. Never know what those birds might wanna hear.
Loving God's Creation!

fmf

That is a tough one to answer, heck it might change week to week.  In general hunting, probably a trumpet/wingbone.  If I'm trying to aggressively strike a bird late morning or midday, a v cut mouth call. I spend a good chunk of time running a slate or glass call too though.

wvhoyt19

That is a tough question. My goal is to be solely mouth call (reverse combo or ghost) but I do enjoy buying different calls from various call makers and try to call up a longbeard. If I'm successful, I always try to get a pic and send it to them to give credit and thank them.

aclawrence

I always end up running a mouth call but I'm gaining confidence in my trumpet.

Moore

I'm surprised how many run a trumpet calls.
[

dzsmith

Don't really have one . The situation sorta dictates it. I pretty much only use mouth calls for close up work. I've killed turkeys exclusively with basically every call I have except a tube call... I've never called a bird up with one. I do use a ton of box calls , and own a ton. I rotate calls quite frequently. I don't own a lot of pot calls . I have 1 glass that I use, and one aluminum that I use . Some years I find myself using one or the other more . Have killed equally with both. At the moment I've been using the aluminum more . So those 2 pots are not rotated out of my vest as I keep both on me. I only use one brand and cut of mouth call, so I buy 6 of that cut every season as they only last me a week or so at best. I do clean them every day , but I keep one in my mouth every time I sit down, and just eventually falls apart. I have 3 trumpets . I rotate them as well, but I still prefer my Turpin over the others . Mostly because of barrel size . I use a trumpet pretty regularly . Back to pot calls... I have tried numerous slate calls in my life ... and I just don't like slate calls. I've tried to like them.... But to me slate sounds dull. I know people love them, and love to use the for quiet calling.... But I have other calls that I prefer to use for that. I have called birds with slate calls I own , but they are my least favorite in the pot category . I have scratch boxes that I like , and they sound great... but are sorta similar to box call sounds , and if I don't routinely practice with a scratcher ... I lose my proficiency. So I rarely use them, but on occasion I'll practice up a little and throw one in the vest. Little too much of a coordinated effort to run one smoothly in my opinion.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."