Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rubber boots for run and gun style Turkey hunting?

Started by Tca126, March 13, 2023, 08:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tca126

Looking for suggestions on rubber boots for run and gun style hunting. The rubber boots I have fit loosely and I use them for tree stand hunting. Looking for something that's comfortable for the long walks in hill country type settings. Thanks.

Ctate94

I honestly just started wearing hiking shoes and I love it so much more. May get your feet wet, but a quick trip in the dryer or on the vent at home and you're good to go. Much more comfortable for what you're talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

I've tried several types of rubber boots for Turkey hunting. This all depends on your hunting style and what terrain you hunt. I hunt rocky, hilly, steep terrain where rubber boots just do not provide enough support while on the move. Hopefully others can offer advice here, but so far the rubber boots I tried just didn't work on rough, hilly, rocky terrain....They are probably fine hunting swampy, level, muddier type terrain where the support is less important.....
"Solo hunter"

hoythunter

Lacrosse alpha 4x snake boots work really well for me. They do fit tighter around your foot. If you have wide feet they may not work for you. Lots of people have trouble pulling them off. I let a buddy try them and he had that problem fortunately I don't. They also cone in a non snake proof version. I wear them on flat ground and mountain ground.

bpsmag1026

I wear the Lacrosse aerohead sport snake boots and am happy with them. I got tired of walking around with wet feet from leather and cordura boots that were supposed to be waterproof.

kytrkyhntr

Lacrosse Grange are tight around the ankle and rubber. Usually find them under 85 bucks as well.
Another option I would love to try are the LITE brand boots. Haven't worn them but have gotten great reviews, I held a pair and they were shockingly light. Also company's owner brooks is a really nice guy.

They'll be the next rubber boots I buy.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

ScottTaulbee

Lacrosse grange work well for me in the mountains I run, I also use the lacrosse rubber snake boots, and I have a couple pairs of the lite boots. They're really nice but something about the way they're made, when you put your foot in it with most socks, it creates a vacuum and makes it hard to get your foot in. Also when your foot sweats and you try to get it out, it's nearly impossible. I've had to sit down and have my wife pull them off and the size fits perfectly in the foot. Something to think about with them. For that reason I typically wear my lacrosses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

Number17

For hill country? Forget the rubber and get a waterproof 6" boot and a pair of gaiters.
I bought a pair of Hanwag Tatra II boots last fall. They are fantastic. I have Freelaxy and Kennetrek gaiters.
I don't wear rubber unless I'm going to be in standing water for the better part of the day. Wet grass and creek crossing I'm going with leather boots and gaiters.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Paulmyr

Doing the vapertrek snake boots with waterproof socks this year since the waterproofing lasted about 3 weekends last year. I learned something this spring while reading up on waterproof linings. Most linings other than gortex use a spray on coating for waterproofing. This spray on membrane can be damaged by heat. Gotta feeling my boot dryers have been hurting my non gortex waterproof boots.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Parrot Head

I have had the Lite boots for about a month.   Boy the are nice and comfy.

PharmHunter

strum

I too have been looking at the LITE boots. The Lacrosse Grange are 4.5 lbs a pair while the LITE are 13 oz each  so less than 2 lbs per pair. Plus have insulation and a little less money.  I dont think you can go wrong with either

TurkeyReaper69

Hard to beat the Granges, but you mentioned wearing them in hill country. Why? I wear my granges in swampy environments, but anything with some topography the hiking boots come out. Lacrosse Granges are great in swampy wet flatland environments.

MossyOak92

Irish setter rut masters is what I like. I tried lacrosse but the Irish setters are a lot tighter on my ankles.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2022) using Tapatalk