turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What did you learn this season?

Started by Footballer, June 24, 2011, 02:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

I learned that what I thought they would do a lot of times they didn't. Oh my!  :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

chatterbox

Quote from: 2ounce6s on July 06, 2011, 09:36:26 PM
I learned a whole new level of patience by hunting with my 6 year old Son and his .410.

30 yard "close" ain't close enough when you've set the max range at 20 for the lead 3" 7.5s. Made for some heart thumping times though and witnessing his first close encounter, seeing him racked with shortness of breath and excitment and then being ok passing on this "bit too far" bird:

was worth all the effort.
If that doesn't get your heart pumping, nothing will! Very exciting! Nice pic!

870BkWht

I learned that above all to enjoy every day spent a field be it by yourself or with a loved one or best friend.   I also learned that the late season can be just as exciting as opening week.

Spring Creek Calls

To use most or all the calls I carry during the course of the season. I think we all get pigeon holed into that favorite call and forget that something different might be just the thing to get him that last 10 yards. Kinda like "if ya got 'em, smoke 'em".

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

redarrow

I don't much care for hunting turkeys in a blizzard.

longbeard95

I learned that even after you miss too keep your head up and stay out there because it pays off sometimes.

Late season is not as easy as the begining of the season.

A little extra work scouting pays off greatly.

Just because your hunting on private land doesnt mean that your the only one hunting there.

tactikel

I learned 2 things:
I make too much noise in the woods.
I really need to work on improving my calling.

I had 2 hens and a tom within 75 yards of me this spring and failed to call him in, and then busted all 3 when I moved to a different setup.

redleg06

I learned that breaking in a new pair of boots is best done in the offseason and not during game time itself....

On a related note, I was reminded how fat and out of shape I'd gotten and this is also something to address during the off season and not when it's 90 degrees outside and you cant catch your breath to blow your mouth call....

gordongekko

I learned I'm still a little selfish, and need to make some time to hunt by myself....  I did not go into the woods one time by myself this season.  I got to see some great stuff, and I called in my Dad's first Rio....but, I am still mad enough at them that I want to pull the trigger.  Somehow, I thought I was past that, oh well :z-guntootsmiley:
In God we trust; all others pay cash.

Struttinhusker

I learned to sometimes just let the hen drag the gobbler right in front of your sights.

MarkJM

Quote from: FullChoke on June 26, 2011, 09:12:53 AM
When you feel like it's time to get up and move, stay right there another 15 minutes.

couldnt agree more, dont know how many times i've been busted from that gut feeling saying move.
MuellerCustomCalls

Gobble!

Ruger M77

Here in PA i learnd i hate huntin turkeys that dont gobble!
I eat therefore I hunt

Eric Gregg

I learned that I need to wait it out a little longer in the mornings. If a gobbler is hung up or if i get cut off by hens, stay put. He will be back to business in a little while.
Should have stayed put......

renegade19

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on June 24, 2011, 03:14:23 PM
You gotta be in the woods every possible chance. You can't kill them sitting on the couch and you won't melt in the rain.
Deffinately agree.  If I hadn't listened to my wife and went the last few hours of fall season, I wouldn't have tagged out.  I got in the woods with about 4 hours left.   2 hours later, killed a bird.  You just never know.