turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What did you learn this season?

Started by Footballer, June 24, 2011, 02:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaTuRkStOmPeR

To hunt 'em however you have to hunt 'em to put birds in the back of the truck.

And this season also reaffirmed my belief that persistent patience kills.

TRKYHTR

Quote from: guesswho on June 26, 2011, 08:14:27 PM
I learned that if you ask for advice on diaphram calls on a turkey hunting forum you get about five pages worth, and some of it pretty entertaining. 

Did you ever find your diaghram?  :TooFunny:  :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

guesswho

Quote from: TRKYHTR on June 27, 2011, 04:14:47 PM
Quote from: guesswho on June 26, 2011, 08:14:27 PM
I learned that if you ask for advice on diaphram calls on a turkey hunting forum you get about five pages worth, and some of it pretty entertaining. 

Did you ever find your diaghram?  :TooFunny:  :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR
When I was looking for it I did a google search for a diaphram, and I'm pretty sure I don't have what I found so I quit looking.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TRKYHTR

Thats funny right there. Hope the shoulder is feeling better.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

Borat

For the first time in my hunting career, I learned that it's OK to share the secrets and facilitate another hunters understanding of how to kill turkeys.  I also learned that I'm ok with not killing a bird if it means sitting under a shady tree for 3-4 hours, making turkey noises and hoping a gobbler comes strolling along.  Dead is dead and to each his own, but I don't enjoy "deer hunting" a turkey.

rtsj

What did I learn?  Hmmm.   Well I found this website called Old Gobbler, and now I can't stay off this damn computer!!!!! My wife may actually leave me: Oh well, off to the call section!   On a serious note. I learned that it is way better to share your sons first turkey with him than all the turkeys I've harvested by myself.   

chcltlabz

I learned to not put all your eggs in one basket.  Every season is different, so if the birds just aren't acting right, move to a different area or save some time to hunt when the birds are acting right.  I wasted a lot of vacation time this year hunting early when the birds just weren't active.  Would have saved a bunch and had better hunting if I'd have quit when I knew the birds weren't hot in that location.  Couple hours drive would have made all the difference in the world, or I could have gone back to work and used that time for later in the season when the birds were hot.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

drenalinld

Quote from: rtsj on June 28, 2011, 08:25:29 PM
I learned that it is way better to share your sons first turkey with him than all the turkeys I've harvested by myself.   

Congratulations! That's awesome!

lohaus

I learned that I enjoy getting people on birds when my tags are filled.  I agree that the birds I killed weren't as exciting as my 11 year old son's first bird.  I also learned that if you can get Tom's in a person's lap (within 30 yards) it doesn't mean they are going to make that shot. . . .and as hard as it is to say that's okay because they were excited, had the show, and had a good experience.  It is just as fulfilling helping people get their first birds.

Oh yeah, I learned that hunting Merriams in Standing Rock isn't as easy as what people posted.  Don't get me wrong, I tagged out but man it was tough.  Not sure if I went too late.

northwoodshntr

What I learned this season:
  My Dad's Brain surgery is more important than turkey season. The turkeys might not be there when you get back. Surveyors WILL wear blue sweat shirts with red hats while surveying county land in your best turkey hunting spot and not notice you until your putting your decoy away. Deer and Grouse are still cool to watch even when they're not in season.

GobbleNut

I learned that if a guy comes in on your set-up after daylight and sets out a strutter deke while in plain sight of the turkeys you are calling to that there is a good chance that they are NOT going to come.
:newmascot:      :newmascot:      :newmascot:      :newmascot:      :newmascot:

kdog

I learned that hunting one specific bird is a blast,,,kinda got obsessed it.No I haven't gotten him yet but can't wait till fall for our cat n mouse game to continue.

archery1

turkey hunting in Pa. was not like last year
birds were not co-operating at all!!!!!!!!!!
Take a kid hunting

stone road turkey calls

that when you take your 10 year old grandson turkey hunting for the first time, he yells theres one grandaddy and away they go. can't waite till next year.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

TRKYHTR

Don't leave your video camera in the car over night when it gets down to 2o degrees. It wont work.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins