turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What did you learn this season?

Started by Footballer, June 24, 2011, 02:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

Here is what I learned: stay relevant and be "causiously aggressive." Towards the end of the season, I took on a much more agressive approach and was able to harvest 3 birds in 3 consecutive days to get my limit (once law school exams were over).

Once I felt a gobbler wasn't going to commit, I made a move. I used the heavy foliage and wind to mask my movement and noise. I would also call aggressively to get a response so I could keep tabs on the bird. I would cautiously sneak into the area I thought the gobbler was located and I would listen for scratching, drummin, or anything else that would give away his location. Generally, once I thought I had his location pinned, I wouldn't call anymore. Each of the last three I killed were going about their business and had no interest in coming to me.

I will say, however, that this tactic will result in spooked birds and I only recommend in certain situations. If birds are alone or coming to the call consistently, I would advise being more patient. After spooking my share of birds, I feel like I have developed a pretty good sense of when a bird will work and when one won't. 

What did you learn or find success doing?

Basser69

I learned that I am not as good a turkey hunter as I thought I was

Nimrodmar10

You gotta be in the woods every possible chance. You can't kill them sitting on the couch and you won't melt in the rain.

renegade19

"Once I felt a gobbler wasn't going to commit, I made a move."

Worked twice for me, couldn't agree more. 

dirt road ninja

There is a saying we use when fishing "don't leave fish to find fish". This year I stayed with them longer instead of leaving to find a hotter bird. Killed most of my birds this year after 9 o'clock. From what I have seen from this past season(s). They will eventually come by. It's not the most exciting way to hunt them, but it is productive. They will seldom come in gobbling. If one does gobble at me after 9 its GAME ON he is by himself and looking for company. Your odds go way up when you find a mid morning bird gobbling. I do move on them, but it is seldom very far. The area I hunt is not over run with birds, so grinding on them has been my most productive method.

drenalinld

I learned Spring is a lot more fun when shared by written word with hundreds of other turkey hunters on OG!!

Thanks OG. :z-guntootsmiley: :you_rock:

furtracker

perrysbirds

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on June 24, 2011, 03:14:23 PM
You gotta be in the woods every possible chance. You can't kill them sitting on the couch and you won't melt in the rain.

I like that one...
Thats a great quote...
If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

chatterbox

The longer I hunt'em, the more I hate'em! :angry9:

FullChoke

When you feel like it's time to get up and move, stay right there another 15 minutes.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Luke95

Don't forget the bug spray or thermacell

Luke95
Sumtoy Get Choked

hookedspur

:agreed:
Quote from: drenalinld on June 25, 2011, 08:56:02 PM
I learned Spring is a lot more fun when shared by written word with hundreds of other turkey hunters on OG!!

Thanks OG. :z-guntootsmiley: :you_rock:
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

guesswho

I learned that if you ask for advice on diaphram calls on a turkey hunting forum you get about five pages worth, and some of it pretty entertaining. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on June 26, 2011, 08:14:27 PM
I learned that if you ask for advice on diaphram calls on a turkey hunting forum you get about five pages worth, and some of it pretty entertaining. 
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

scoot12

Be where the turkeys want to be or go.  Calling is important but if they want to go somewhere they will gobble as they are heading to their destination.  Scoot