turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Replacing cracked Crystal on pot - Tips wanted

Started by Ches., March 09, 2023, 02:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ches.

I just got out my pot calls to play and condition for the season. I noticed that my Crystal over glass was not sounding right. I the noticed it had a crack about 1/16" below conditioned area. I just ordered a new Crystal disk but was wondering if anyone had tips on removal of old one. I thought I would take a punch and hit to get a crack in other direction and hopefully get a piece out then work on the rest. My fear is damaging the pot or glass sounding board. Someone has to have this happened and went thru this already.

owego

All you hunter with Enticer Turkey CALLS happen to break their call glass remember all Enticer calls have a lifetime glass replacement free fix on all calls made after 1988. Go to my Facebook & see.  https://www.facebook.com/al.holbert.3

mikejd

I just replaced a glass on one of my favorite calls. I recommend holding a shop vac right over the call while you break out the old. I just smashed the center and used a small screw driver to lift out one piece at a time. I also would wear safety glasses some pieces go wherever they want. The shop vac helped that.

paboxcall

Quote from: mikejd on March 09, 2023, 05:59:36 PM
I just replaced a glass on one of my favorite calls. I recommend holding a shop vac right over the call while you break out the old. I just smashed the center and used a small screw driver to lift out one piece at a time. I also would wear safety glasses some pieces go wherever they want. The shop vac helped that.

This, and do it somewhere that its easy to sweep up / pick up the glass because its gonna fly. Scraping out the residual glue on the lip was easy and little touch up with 220 grit sand paper smoothed it all out. 
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Ches.

Were you guys able to do this without breaking the glass sound board?

paboxcall

Quote from: Ches. on March 09, 2023, 06:50:41 PM
Were you guys able to do this without breaking the glass sound board?

Yes. Light taps with the hammer to get it going, then at it with the screw driver to pry and lift pieces up and out. Wasn't difficult.

Wear gloves and safety glasses, and don't be doing it sitting on the couch LOL. It goes everywhere.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

PEte_A

I've replaced some by heating the glass with a small heat gun, which loosens the surface right up. Lift it up, remove excess glue from the pot and glue down the new surface. You don't have to heat it up excessively to get the surface loose either.

shatcher

How about sending it back to the call maker?  I dropped a Woodhaven cherry crystal on my kitchen floor and it cracked.  They replaced the crystal for $25.  Been a few years though.

Ches.

It is a Cherry Crystal, but I made it. So warrantee is on me. I also see now that glass sounding board is also cracked, strange since it does not touch sides of call. But it is what it is. Will replace both and if they crack again, I will go to ceramic over some metal.
Ches.

shatcher

Got it.  Did the pot itself warp?  That can happen.

Ches.

Does not look to be but might have. The heat tip did the trick. I used E6000 originally and the heat loosened it right up. I got to give a shout out to post #2 by Owego of Enticer calls for the product sales pitch with no guidance as to how to do it what's so ever. I remember that kind of assistance and hope other see that too.
Thanks everyone else.
Ches.

owego

Ches , I knew that I could not help you & it is better not to give you advice about something I know that will not help. I knew you was using E6000 which most call makers use but I do not use it & had no clue about it. Sorry you took it the wrong way but there is alot of hunters that have Enticer Calls & every chance I get I remind! them to check their calls before season.

Sir-diealot

Only thing I would add is clean the area really good, especially if you have a dog, they have a way of finding what you thought you had gotten but did not.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ches.

One more tip for someone else in this situation, I put a Blue paper shop towel over the pot prior to hitting it. I think it held glass shards down, then I dumped it into a plastic bag heading to the garbage. For the initial heat I used a torch in the middle, removed all the big pieces but some hung on by lip. I then put the pot in the microwave for 10 seconds. It got very hot and would only do 6 seconds next time. I used my pocket knife to scrape off as much glue as I could then some 220 paper to sand the rest. It all went better than I expected.
Ches.

paboxcall