OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone ever used Mag Blend in their 10ga?

Started by Kornbread, March 09, 2023, 05:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kornbread

Wanting some opinions on it. I have a BPS with 24" barrel with IC . Just wondering if anyone has used them and their opinion....

deadbuck

Yes, have used Mag Blend in 10 ga. They recoil harder than any other shell known to man. But they will kill birds!

Kornbread

You don't by chance have a picture of your pattern do you? There are several posted on here but none of the images will show up.

randywallace

They shot ok out of my single shot, but not nearly as good as Nitro Ammo's hevishot and then TSS. 

I am not a fan of blended loads in general.  I haven't found them to be nearly as consistent.

If I were still using the 10 gauge, I would stick with TSS #8 or #9 from Nitro, FoxTrot, Apex or Pendleton.

deadbuck

Curious to know why you may want to use Magnum Blends if you are looking for pellet count in a pattern when TSS shells are going to put up double the hits? With Magnum Blend using shot sizes 5,6,7 there just are not enough pellets in the shell to get a high number on paper. I know in the past a few places are selling them at clearance prices though.

Kornbread

I found some on sale. (Mag Blend) I would rather use TSS but these are nearly half price.

deadbuck

Buy some of both, put a TSS in the barrel and fill up the magazine with Mag Blend!

the Ward

Quote from: deadbuck on March 10, 2023, 09:16:53 AM
Buy some of both, put a TSS in the barrel and fill up the magazine with Mag Blend!
Modern problems require modern solutions! Ha ha, all kidding aside, I have used 12 gauge
magblends with good success, so I would Imagine the 10 gauge ones would shoot even better,
although I haven't used any of those. I have a pretty good supply of 10 gauge turkey ammo, enough
to last a good long while, but if I was starting from scratch, I would take deadbuck's advice, and go
straight for the tss. I see apex has some loads for the 10 that are around the same price as their 12
gauge offerings, not cheap, but will probably save you money in the long run doing a lot of choke/ammo
testing. If I could get a good supply of mag blends cheap though, I wouldn't hesitate using them.

the Ward

What really would be nice is if Winchester would see fit to make some 2-1/4 oz. long beards
in 10 gauge. Love to have a load like that in #4 or 5's, but alas, there probably isn't near enough
demand for them to consider it. I was going to try some Federal Grand slams in 10 gauge, and still
might, but I wasn't impressed with the 3.5 12 gauge version I tried out in my new sx4. But I haven't
tried them through enough chokes yet for a final verdict, either.

randywallace

Quote from: the Ward on March 10, 2023, 10:15:07 AM
What really would be nice is if Winchester would see fit to make some 2-1/4 oz. long beards
in 10 gauge. Love to have a load like that in #4 or 5's, but alas, there probably isn't near enough
demand for them to consider it.

I you are wanting lead, Nitro sells a 3oz load of copper plated lead for the 10 gauge at 1200fps.  $78 per 10.  You can get various shot sizes, or duplex or even triplex.

I would suspect it kicks like 2 mules.

PoolGobbler

Bought 3 boxes on clearance. I'll report back once I get to the pattern board.

the Ward

Quote from: PoolGobbler on March 12, 2023, 11:41:19 AM
Nice score! That would be great, please do when you can, would love to see how they do.

PoolGobbler

Quote from: the Ward on March 13, 2023, 10:03:12 AM
Quote from: PoolGobbler on March 12, 2023, 11:41:19 AM
Nice score! That would be great, please do when you can, would love to see how they do.

Hard to pass up 10ga around these parts so I buy when I can. Just waiting for some warmer weather to pattern!

bowmaster5687

I used them out of my browning gold 10, 26" barrel. I wish I still has the pics for you but it was years ago before I made the TSS switch and never looked back. I patterned them with 10 or 11 different tubes. Best pattern I had was with a Patternmaster code black turkey .720

Old Gobbler

I bought a box when they came out ..it's basically hevishots version of the nitro triplex ...but there is less of the super small pellets ...if I remember I got around 270ish in a 10 at 40

my honest opinion is that the mag blends are better than any of the lead loads .....but doesn't come close to the federal HW #7 that fed-7 was a far superior option
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon