turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pressured Public Land Birds

Started by BA-IV, April 13, 2023, 07:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BA-IV

It's the middle of the season now on public land, and birds have had two weeks worth of calls threw at them by now. They're feeling the pressure and are tight lipped like public land birds get. What's your go to strategy from the morning to evening, let's hear it. How're you approaching these birds differently, what's making you successful now?

Flatsnbay

In heavy pressured public lands, I try to hunt where other people don't. Either go very far which requires a long walk or bike ride or hunting places very close to the entrance as most people will drive right by. In either situation, if I hear a gobbler go to it and try to close the distance. Once you figure out the area that he is in, call occasionally with soft subtle calls. Good luck! Taking a bird off public land can be challenging!

Tom007

Patience, patience, patience. Very low limited calling. Leaf scratching, wing-beat fly downs. Set up in areas with fresh sign, long soft calling sits have killed the late season public guys for me. If you get one to play the game, get him curious with infrequent calling. Even if he skirts around you, continue to pursue him. Know the terrain, find his comfort zones. Late season birds are more susceptible to mid to late morning sets. They know all the "roost routines". One edge you will pick up later in the season is he has less hens to choose from. I love these late season battle beaten veterans. If you stick with it, and stay persistent, you will be rewarded with a memorable  trophy for sure.....
"Solo hunter"

Kylongspur88

Honestly mid to late season is when I start hitting public land more. I'll hunt a lot of afternoons and use more gobbler yelps.

howl

Bill Dance said once that he fishes like there's a bass looking at his lure the whole time. He can have confidence in that because he's Bill Dance and knows where bass are all the time. It figures there's always one looking at it.

Paulmyr

Quote from: howl on April 15, 2023, 11:04:46 AM
Bill Dance said once that he fishes like there's a bass looking at his lure the whole time. He can have confidence in that because he's Bill Dance and knows where bass are all the time. It figures there's always one looking at it.

Not sure I've seen Bill Dance fish bass in anything other than a stocked farm pond. Makes sense he'd feel that way because there probably is. Ha, ha ;D
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

howl

That's the correct conclusion. You have to learn to put yourself in there tight amongst them.

runngun

I definitely know of a lake that Bill Dance fished is numerous times, and I can assure you it ain't never been "stocked."  Well, except by Mother Nature, when the River rises and falls out.  I watched him, Live Action!!! He was definitely successful.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Paulmyr

I'm sure Bill knows how to fish. I was joking because all the shows I seen him do have been on farm/man made lakes. Except maybe crappie fishing.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Lcmacd 58

All good advice ... late in the season they definitely get call and decoy shy. Honestly I do better later in the morning with maybe 1 decoy and limited calling and I'm always trying g to find a call that will trigger a response.

Marc

Get off the beat path (sometimes not far).  Birds that travel those access and logging roads before the season, seem to stop using those roads right around opening day.

Hunt areas that are either too close or too far for other hunters to feel comfortable hunting. 

Constantly looking at animal trails, mud-holes, etc., for footprints, scratching, poop, strut-tracks, etc.  I do not ignore hen sign.  With tall wet spring grass, look for turkey trails in that grass.

I expect them to come in quiet, and move to hunt one that is not.

Cover ground as quickly as possible while remaining cautious (avoid sky-lining, walking through open areas, or calling where birds can spot you from any distance).  Sometimes that means walking 500 yards to travel 100 yards.

I have learned a lot (of what not to do) from watching other hunters.  Watching someone walk a hillside, and calling, while I can spot him and see his every move, even though he is not being brash...  Gotta' figure birds can see me doing the same.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Lcmacd 58

All REALLY good advice even for seasoned hunters