turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 Youth 21" - VP 90/93

Started by toneloc, March 08, 2023, 09:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toneloc

A touch low, but I decided to leave it.  Maybe aim an inch or 2 high.

1 5/8 oz of 8.75's...551 pellets.  VP 90/93 load.  Jebs .580 waterfowl choke.  (2) @ 35 yds, (1) @ 20 yds.  For as open as I am at 35 yds, a little surprised how tight at 20 yds.  Not much wiggle room. 

Thoughts? Keeper or would you guys be trying some different chokes? 

mountainhunter1

You have basically a ten inch pattern on the close shot and you won't do much better than that with TSS at 20 yards. Most TSS patterns will be a bit tighter than that (That is where the .580 helps you). I am fine with the 35 yard pattern as it appears that your outer 20 is pretty balanced for wiggle room. I would like to see a pattern of it at 40 yards, but you are going to be good to go assuming you are going to keep your shots at reasonable ranges. Those 8's hit hard. Either aim high for sure, or move it a click or two up, as those 8.5's in the breast get expensive when you break a tooth and need a crown. But you have a good hunting pattern.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Spurs Up

That's an enviable pattern that should retain sufficient density and ample penetration to ensure a kill for another 20 yards.  Not that I'm recommending you take a poke that far.  Hunt it!

toneloc

Thanks guys.  Appreciate the feedback.  Running the swamp fox kingslayer pistol dot.  That's the one thing I don't like about it, the adjustment screws are tiny and no clicks, so it's a little bit of a crap shoot to adjust it.  I might try a little twist up and another shot at 40 to see what it looks like.  This is primarily my 12 year olds gun...which is why I'm running a more open choke.   Not planning to take any shots over 40.

toneloc

Man is that swampfox kingslayer pistol dot touchy.  No click and the adjustment screws are course!  After 4 more shots here is what I ended up with at 40.  Maybe still a touch low and right, but calling it close enough for this year.

mountainhunter1

That is a very balanced pattern you have at 40 yards. I especially like your outer 20 coverage. He won't walk out of that.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Ranman