Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who wants to take a bird with a "nestalgic " gun and why?

Started by Preacher, June 24, 2011, 10:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preacher

Who here has a sentimental old favorite , or maybe you just want the challenge of a smaller payload,   tell us about it,  post a picture if anit to much trouble.
Romans 8:37

drenalinld

I have an old 16 single shot that was my great grandfather's. The stock rotted off and it has a homemade stock on it. The break over is a little loose, so I don't shoot it. I would love to get a gunsmith to repair it if possible and kill a gobbler with it. I will post a pic later.

I have a 12 gauge single that was my dad's from childhood. I need to take a gobbler with it. I will also post a pic of it soon.

Great topic. You sparked a desire in me.

wisconsinteacher

I would like to shoot a bird with my grandpa's 16ga single shot.  For all I know, it has never "killed" before.  Grandpa passed before there were turkeys in our part of the state so I think it would be cool to use his gun on something he never hunted.

redarrow

I have a J.C. Higgins .410 bolt action that I would like to use. It was my first shotgun .Gotta be 50 years old.I got it for Christmas.

mossy835

J have an Old JC Higgins model 20 in 12 Gauge that I have acquired all three chokes for. Use it for pheasant and would like to use it on turkeys soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Preacher

OH MAN,  those are some fine weapons pictured,   2oz,  what is that lever action ,  I have seen old Ithacias. somewhat like that.   
Romans 8:37

drenalinld

Oh yeah, I have a JC Higgins 12 gauge pump that my mom bought my dad their first Christmas together in 1960. I need to shoot a gobbler with it also! pics coming

woody

Longshanks

I like to kill turkeys with my dads browning citori 12g. Dads been gone since the early 90's. I had the gun parkerized and the stocks wrinkle painted and then air brush camo painted. Full/modified and shoots 5's outstanding. Havnt killed a turkey with It in a few years. Good ole gun.

oatsj

I have a Winchester mod 37 12ga 30" full that it was my youth gun in the late 50's and year before last I killed a turkey using max load #5 . think I will start using it again because it is light.  :cowboy:

ohiostrutter

I'd love to kill a turkey with my gpas 870 20 ga wingmaster he bought it new in 1956 that gun has killed more game than u can imagine

gatrkyhntr70

I have an old high standard pump that was my grandfathers gun; When I originally recieved it from my dad a few years ago it was in rough shape, I took it to my buddy Curtis (Gun Docc) and spent an entire day watching him basically rebuilding the gun. Too many details to go into now. I paired it up with some hevi13 #6's and a kicks .665.
The highlight of this with this gun was that I was able to see my son take a gobbler with my grandfather's gun which was way better for me than myself. I was able to see what passing it on actually is before my own eyes,
Heres a quick story of the hunt with a few pics. (sorry if I drug this on but this was a great experience!)

My son and I headed out behind the house for an evening hunt. Our second setup near the edge of a field, we get several gobbles after our third series of calls.
Im sitting behind him about 40yds. Call again and get several gobbles. He tells me their coming, a few minutes later I see 3 turkeys running across the field.
They cut up through the woods and circle just above us on the ridge and gobble, My son  makes a quick adjustment, I gave them a few clucks and i can hear them coming through the leaves:                                  He rolls him @ 35yds.
It was a nice jake(acted and looked like a gobbler) with a 6" beard and 1/2" spurs. His 2nd turkey.
Its a 2 3/4" gun, shooting Hevi13 #6s.

Having my son take this turkey with my grandfathers old gun was a grand finale for my season!!

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

SumToy

This what I like to see.  Alot of the guns yall talk about is what we build the target guns out of.    I may have some of the choke for the
M-20 I will need to big around.   :fire:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Spring Creek Calls

This is my first gun, bought it from my brother for $110 when I was 20 (39 years ago!). Late 30's Model 12 w/32" barrel. Shot my first 5 or 6 turkeys with it. As you can imagine, it was something to carry with that long barrel. It is one of those few guns that liked 4's better than 5's or 6's. Killed hundreds of ducks with it up until the steel shot era.

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

BOFF

I hunted all season with a Winchester 1897, and finally had an opportunity to take a bird with it close to the end of season. The shot needed to be 25 yards or closer, as that was what I felt was the maximum distance with the best patterning shells I had.

I have a Winchester Model 12  16ga.  I want to take a turkey with next.

God Bless,
David B.