OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Chalk

Started by Ches., March 06, 2023, 09:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage

Zobo

I personally use very little chalk, so for me chalk in general isn't that important. I subscribe to the Albert Paul philosophy of chalking, " if the box plays, don't add chalk."  Also, I'm a firm believer in developing and leaving angel wings so I don't scuff lids very often. I know this might be a bit outside the scope of your question and as Greg said, this has been discussed here before and it might be good to look up those opinions and information. Now, hen boxes and scratchers are a different story and I chalk them much more often. So I'm just trying to make you aware that not every box calling hunter is big into chalk.  I know others use it a lot more often than I do, so that's something you'll  have to decide, not only what color chalk, but necessity and frequency of use.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

longbow2240

I use nothing but the blue half moon chalk from Halloran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoder409

Maybe I'm ignorant to the ways of the world...........but I use any chalk that is not of the dustless variety.

I've used white......brown......tan.......red.....blue (stick and half round).....green......maybe others.   I never noticed enough difference, one to the other to amount to a hill of beans.  But maybe I'm tone deaf.  But, apparently the turkeys are, too, because I don't think I've ever lost out o a bird because of my chalk color.

Only time chalk color matters to me is when a maker includes a piece of chalk with the call he made.  Just got a pair of boxes in the mail this past Saturday.  The maker included a round cut from a stick of white chalk.......and that's what he had the boxes initially chalked with.  So, I figure he must have chosen white for a reason for those particular calls.  That's what I'll continue to use on those calls.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 08, 2023, 08:41:47 AM
Maybe I'm ignorant to the ways of the world...........but I use any chalk that is not of the dustless variety.

I've used white......brown......tan.......red.....blue (stick and half round).....green......maybe others.   I never noticed enough difference, one to the other to amount to a hill of beans.  But maybe I'm tone deaf.  But, apparently the turkeys are, too, because I don't think I've ever lost out o a bird because of my chalk color.

Only time chalk color matters to me is when a maker includes a piece of chalk with the call he made.  Just got a pair of boxes in the mail this past Saturday.  The maker included a round cut from a stick of white chalk.......and that's what he had the boxes initially chalked with.  So, I figure he must have chosen white for a reason for those particular calls.  That's what I'll continue to use on hose calls.
MY TURKEYS are color coordinated ... LOL... They like a well dressed hen... LOL..

Ches.

Quote from: Trkmaster88 on March 07, 2023, 06:16:31 PM
Quote from: Ches. on March 07, 2023, 04:38:07 PM
Ok, just so many options and no clear winner as far as I read it. I clean my paddle, put new chalk on the tune if it is not sounding right to my ear. Maybe that's the wrong approach but the one I have been using. I was using the Primos Red chalk, but just got a 6 pack of the half moon blue carpenters chalk. It powders very easy on application and sounds good to me.
Ches.

Where did you get the blue chalk from?
I got it off e-bay, costs like $2 for 6 pieces and $4 for shipping. So about a buck each. I figure the guy did what I was thinking of doing and bought a big box and only needed a small amount. David Halloran sells them for $5 each, don't know what he wants for shipping, but figure it is probably the deal breaker. My Primos came with red, I just bought a purple heart over purple heart w/holly sides kit that came with tan chaulk, holloran says he likes blue the best. Hence my question.

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 08, 2023, 09:31:30 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on March 08, 2023, 08:41:47 AM

Only time chalk color matters to me is when a maker includes a piece of chalk with the call he made.  Just got a pair of boxes in the mail this past Saturday.  The maker included a round cut from a stick of white chalk.......and that's what he had the boxes initially chalked with.  So, I figure he must have chosen white for a reason for those particular calls.  That's what I'll continue to use on hose calls.
MY TURKEYS are color coordinated ... LOL... They like a well dressed hen... LOL..

:TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

vt35mag

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 07, 2023, 10:33:58 PM
I can tell you for a fact that different color chalk changes the sound of a call. 100 percent. May not be night and day but does have subtle changes.

+1

Pettit877

A good well tuned box call should play well with no chalk at all. Every maker has their chalk preference and their call is tuned using that chalk. Different brand chalks will change the sound and tune of said call as well as different colors. Different colors have different resins used in the making of that chalk. That is the reason why different chalk line chalks clean up easier than others. I prefer red chalk on the boxes I build.

Eric

PoolGobbler

Tried the primos red chalk last year and from a functionality standpoint it worked great. Can't speak to the instrumentality or the tone variance but friction-wise, it hunted well!

ferocious calls

Many hunters that use my calls will ask what kind of chalk they should use. I tell them either primos call chalk or sky blue sidewalk chalk. I tune with either. Then they ask how often they should chalk the call. I tell them maybe never and to keep playing surfaces clean from fingers or dirt. Chalk it when it doesn't sound like it did and do it lightly. The sidewalk chalk is always a dollar store away for the casual hunter.

Will someone please tell me how the sky blue sidewalk chalk ranks in the amount of wax or whatever it is that we don't want in it.

Greg Massey

People can use what they want, but i will never use sidewalk chalk on my calls with the availability of better chalk.  Have you ever tried to remove some of that sidewalk chalk off of concrete ... omg .... 

ferocious calls

Got ya. I have been using the primos for quite some time. I was told that the sky blue contained the least amount of wax. Thanks for your reply.

Tombigbee

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 07, 2023, 10:22:45 AMAll chalk is not the same, Woodhaven doesn't make the rain chalk, rain chalk is fine, but it's not what i prefer.... The old sphere red brick chalk is about as pure a chalk as you can get. It's a more powder base, the closest thing to red brick is Primos red 3 small pieces in a plastic case. All chalks have little difference in texture and grit. The old Perfection in sphere shape in brown, is some of the best you could buy alone with the red brick, that Perfection brown has a little less powder base. White / blue are all similar but a tad different in my opinion. Dave Halloran sells a blue sphere chalk that is some of the best for blue chalk. Woodhaven sells a good white chalk. The old red brick chalk was a number 77701 Dixon chalk. Chalks with different content / powder bases cause boxes to run at different levels for tone / sound and rasp. Some people say i just use chalk and that's fine, but different ingredient makeup of chalk makes boxes run differently in how they cause friction between the box lid and rails. All of this affects the sound of a box.. You can mix chalk on the lid of a box, like red and little white and see the differences in tones and sounds.  I personally look for the chalk i'm wanting to use to achieve the sound i'm wanting to create from the lid to rails.  Now again, most good boxes don't need a lot of chalk to run, it all depends on the quality of the box and some combos just run extremely well..  Do a search on the forum and you can read opinions about chalk etc...

Ran up on this recently.

You cannot view this attachment.