News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Franchi Affinity 3, 20g. Apex TSS #9

Started by ragin-cajun, March 05, 2023, 04:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragin-cajun

thank you mountain.

the IC and RR tubes were very nice patterns, just a bit tight for my liking.

I hope this post saves someone else some time and expenses on shells-- like others have saved me. Luckily i was able to document these shots trying to dial in my Aimpoint red dot.

Wild Turkey

mountainhunter1

You are welcome and I love to mess with patterning almost as much as I love to hunt turkeys. Just a lot of fun.

You probably already do it, but one thing that has helped me is keeping those patterns and rolling them up and storing them somewhere for future reference. When shells cost 10-12 dollars a pop, it saves both time and money to be able to look back a couple of years later and see if that new choke you are trying is really shooting better than what you tested a couple of years before. You think you can keep it all in your head, but it is hard to recall it all, and it really helps to be able to pull those patterns out two to four years later and compare to any new stuff you may be trying. It has saved me time and money by doing that because I don't have to reduplicate my work since I still have the patterns of previous tested chokes to compare to something new I am trying out.

But if everyone tested as well as you have done, we would all be much better off. You have done your homework  and then some. Thanks again for sharing your results. I refer back to these patterns posted on here as well when helping others set their new guns up when I don't have personally saved patterns on a certain choke and load.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Ranman

Patterns look great , but still a pretty tight core. I think you could open up even more. Turlock has an extended full choke that is .590 and an improved modified at .595.. I bet you would be pleasantly surprised at the results. Make sure to see what it does at 20yrds..

ragin-cajun

turkey is a tough bird. and in my experience I like it a little tighter than loose
Wild Turkey

ragin-cajun

last 2 shots w/ .575 locking in red dot.
Wild Turkey

bwhana

Nice, that 575 is a winner for both of us!

ragin-cajun

yes sir... killed enough paper targets finding the winning recipe. all came together this am when the Trulock-Franchi combo did short work of this gobbler at 30 yds.
Wild Turkey

mountainhunter1

"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Ranman

bwhana

ragin-cajun

First bird w 20g. I'll never go back. So nice carrying a 20 in the woods. Thanks to all for advice and well wishes.
Wild Turkey

bwhana

I let my Franchi with 575 eat too in the rain Saturday.  Carrying my Midland with same choke the rest of the season for lighter run and gun action.

JeffC

congrats ragin-cajun and bwhana on 2 fine Toms, been following along, jealous over the #9 shot patterns, only #71/2 allowed in NJ. Happy to see good reviews of the Franchi, hopefully I am able to get some blood on mine this year!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

ragin-cajun

birds hanging upside down means its time for buttermilk jalapeƱo turkey nuggets!

Wild Turkey

mdmitchell

Great info here - just picked up an affinity compact 20 myself and was looking at the TL 585 but you have me convince to try the 575 as well.