OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lip Stop or No Lip Stop

Started by wyetterp, February 05, 2023, 01:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Quote from: Tarheel on February 11, 2023, 10:07:43 AM
After listening to Mark Prudhomme run a tube call at Unicoi, I quickly realized how far and how much work yet I have to do to play a tube call as well as I would like to be able. There's no easy secret to playing a tube call well.  You have to do the work. That doesn't mean those of us with lesser skills playing a tube call can't kill turkeys....we can, but it sure would be nice to be able to obtain that degree of skill.

As entertaining as it is to listen to Mark run ANYTHING, it's a tough goal to obtain. I believe he could win the Grand Nationals with a blade of grass, lol.

Scpossum

Quote from: EZ on February 22, 2023, 09:20:40 AM
Quote from: Tarheel on February 11, 2023, 10:07:43 AM
After listening to Mark Prudhomme run a tube call at Unicoi, I quickly realized how far and how much work yet I have to do to play a tube call as well as I would like to be able. There's no easy secret to playing a tube call well.  You have to do the work. That doesn't mean those of us with lesser skills playing a tube call can't kill turkeys....we can, but it sure would be nice to be able to obtain that degree of skill.

As entertaining as it is to listen to Mark run ANYTHING, it's a tough goal to obtain. I believe he could win the Grand Nationals with a blade of grass, lol.

You are correct, Mark is phenomenal with about any call he runs. 

wyetterp

Quote from: Scpossum on February 22, 2023, 11:41:25 PM

You are correct, Mark is phenomenal with about any call he runs.
[/quote]

Glad to see you commenting!

Do you mind sharing your opinion on it? You know these things in & out. I hear nothing but good things about you. I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Scpossum

This is all my opinion because everyone runs calls differently and has different requirements.  A tube is a tool and an instrument.   You play the one you hear the turkey in and is easiest for YOU to get a sound.  There are pros and cons with all styles.  I prefer a lipstop.  I can and have used an open tube, but I use a lipstop because it is a spot to start from and during a hunt the easiest for me to consistently (think call on demand) start from.  Someone else might feel comfortable with an open tube in the same way.  You can get a lot of different sounds with an open tube, but for me it is a different method to running it.  Both styles of calls can be used at different angles, different latex thicknesses and different air to get different tones and pitches.  Each will yelp, kee kee, gobble, jake yelp, fighting purr, flydown, etc.   it comes down to what you like.  Some run an open bell tube and some run a baffle.  Some like to put their fingers up in the call and some like to use a baffle in different ways. 

I am used to running calls with a 7/8" -15/16" ID with a lipstop bevel.  If it is over that I tend to have to reposition my lips and muscle memory goes out the window.  I use .003 & .004 latex.  Some use up to .006 and more with good results.  I used to use a heavier latex, but for my air, control, and way of playing I will choose the .003.  I went to the bevel a few years ago after a well known member here requested it.  I liked being able to get under the latex with my air (like a no-lipstop tube) and it became a standard.  The baffle originated for me when I duplicated an old snuff can caller.  I was looking for a way to quiet the call down, but still maintain the sound it produced.  I like it because I can put material in the call and it stays there.  I think it also makes one handed operation a little easier.  But, at theend of the day it is all about what works for YOU.  If you can run the call and sound like a turkey then it works for you.  This is why we have so many turkey calls and why we enjoy collecting them so much. 

Last thing.  You have to practice.  Just like the piano, saxophone, guitar, etc.  it is an instrument.  But, if all you can do is cluck on it -you just increased your aresanal.  I killed my first bird with a tube by primarily clucking on it.  I had it two days when I hunted it and that was about all I could do.  Hope this helps some. 

There is no "one best".   Remember the tool part.  What do you want to use it for?  Gobbling requires a different latex and stretch. Yelping requires a different latex and stretch.  Most tube call players will carry a couple of tubes. One set for yelping and one for gobbling and jake/gobbler yelps.  Some calls sound better, some sound worse.  Some you pick up over time, some you can get it a little quicker.  Those you pick up on quicker are usually the ones that fit you.  The main thing with a tube starting out is practice, practice, practice and make up your mind you will succeed. 

If you want to talk on the phone, I am usually available in the evenings.

wyetterp

Thanks ScPossum! That helps me understand a lot more.

Thank you for the advice.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

mspaci

Im opposite of scopossum,I like a bigger opening. 7/8 & alike is just too small for me to work the call. I have one of his & its a really nice call but I struggle w it. I prefer a morgan type tube. Like was said, we are all diff. Best advice was practice alot. Mike

Sir-diealot

I have seen things about people running them with the reed coming from bottom to top putting the top lip against it instead of the bottom lip, do any of you run it like that and if so what are the benefit/drawbacks? Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."