OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1,000 pound mako shark caught

Started by Basser69, June 23, 2011, 05:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Thats probably what happened to Charlie Tuna!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Old Gobbler

Thats a big one - There are loads of sharks down here in Florida
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

savduck

Somebody is eating shark steaks tonight. Thats a big mako.
Georgia Boy

gotcha

The skipper is a buddy of mine.Better footage on youtube.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: gotcha on June 23, 2011, 08:17:55 PM

Why did that comment bring back memories of Gilligan's Island?  I need more sleep.

For those "in the know" about such, is it common practice to save and use the skin from sharks?  Living in the central/southern U.S. I will plead ignorance about such. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Basser69

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on June 24, 2011, 09:52:51 AM
Quote from: gotcha on June 23, 2011, 08:17:55 PM

Why did that comment bring back memories of Gilligan's Island?  I need more sleep.

For those "in the know" about such, is it common practice to save and use the skin from sharks?  Living in the central/southern U.S. I will plead ignorance about such. 

I have heard of people making stuff from the skin but I do not know anyone that has done it. I am sure some fool out there made him a shirt or something from a skin but I have never seen it. So no, not common at all

lightsoutcalls

I was thinking more along the lines of tanning the skin for use for wallets, belts, boots, etc.   Just curious.  I don't have any idea what the characteristics of shark skin are... just figured it would be quite tough.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

longspur

bought a pair of boots once with the toe covered with shark skin. It probably would have worked well if it had been thicker than a peice of paper.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hognutz

Being from the north, I lump sharks and snakes into the same category. The only food shark/snake is a dead one.. Good riddance..:you_rock: Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

redarrow

Did you read all the negative comments. Dang,the way they complained you would have thought they killed a "JAKE" or something. :toothy12:

Basser69

Quote from: redarrow on June 27, 2011, 10:46:03 PM
Did you read all the negative comments. Dang,the way they complained you would have thought they killed a "JAKE" or something. :toothy12:

I like sharks. Blacktips eat great!

Scout24

I caught an 8' 270pder 2 years ago up here in NH and it was delicious, alot like swordfish (tried to post a pic but says the image is too large). This one was hooked deep and never jumped but a 6'er I hooked 3 years earlier jumped 8' six times. We never knew this was a mako until 1/2 hour into the battle, was thinking it was a bulldog thresher as it was staying deep. After 1 1/4 hr battle man and beast were equally exhausted. A 10" tuna fly gaff twice bounced off his back and sending him on 200 yard screaming runs. Finally at boatside for the third time I grabbed the leader, pulled him next to the gunnel and went Psycho on his gills with an 8" Dexter fillet knife. We rarely kill sharks but bring a firearm when planning on it. We were 32 miles from the ramp with an hour of daylight left when he hit the cockpit of my 24'er, after dragging him by the tail for 1/2 hour. What a battle!  They are an amazing fish. They follow our bluefin tuna and more than one handliner has been hauling a 500 pd tuna into the cockpit only to have a 1,000 mako chop the back half off. Tuna spotter planes see 1,000-1,500 pd makos shadowing the giant tuna schools every year up here. Tuna are fast but makos are the fastest fish on the planet, must be amazing to see them take a giant bluefin.