turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Helpful Tip If You Run Any Of Mike Yingling's 3" Pot Calls

Started by mountainhunter1, March 01, 2023, 03:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

As you know, Mike's pots run a bit smaller than many pot calls and regular lid savers are a tad too big. Well, I discovered that the white plastic lids that are on top of the Ovaltine powdered drink mix containers are an absolutely perfect fit for a lid saver for Mike's three inch copper pots and other various three inch pots that he makes. The lid has a little lip on the inside of it that keeps the lid from being in contact with the surface and the lid is made of a very hard and durable type of plastic that will last for a very long time. The fit is so good that it is almost like the top was made for his pots. Get you a container of Ovaltine and once you use it up, save the top and use it on Mike's 3" pots.   

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OP.aemHbLjyORDXTw474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=140&h=140&qlt=100&dpr=1.3&c=17
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Sir-diealot

Thank you for the tip I do have a question though what's 17 taste like? Nevermind, I can't have it on my diet, cheap enough to get and dump out though.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mountainhunter1

You are right, it is dirt cheap, - so just dump it and save the lid. Lids on my pots was the greatest thing I ever came up with. Keeps the sweat off and keeps the vest and my camo from polishing the pot surface.

For many years, before lid savers became the in thing, I used to keep my pots in old Promise Margerine containers that I had cameoed up to better blend in the woods.

"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on March 01, 2023, 05:04:26 PM
You are right, it is dirt cheap, - so just dump it and save the lid. Lids on my pots was the greatest thing I ever came up with. Keeps the sweat off and keeps the vest and my camo from polishing the pot surface.

For many years, before lid savers became the in thing, I used to keep my pots in old Promise Margerine containers that I had cameoed up to better blend in the woods.
I keep my 3 1/2" in the Little Wonders bowls, the older ones, the new ones are much to shiny, much like my head.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

mountainhunter1

If any on here have not tried one of Mike's copper pots out, you need to get in touch with him and do so. He is easy to deal with and you will not beat his copper for the money. It has a real good nasally raspy yelp on it and if you get the two sider, you can flip it over and get real soft on the slate on the other side when need be.

One more quick tip, and most of you already know, but for the one or two who may not - you can get some cheap number two pencil erasers to keep on your striker tip ends to keep them safe from sweat and polishing against the material of your vest as you trek through the woods. If you walk five to ten miles a day, protecting that pot call surface and your striker ends becomes paramount at some point in maintaining your sound quality.

Big Jeremy

Since that trick is now out in the public, I just bought a little stock in Nestle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Big Jeremy on March 02, 2023, 10:51:42 PM
Since that trick is now out in the public, I just bought a little stock in Nestle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise move - you will be rich soon enough.  :happy0064:

Greg Massey

Thanks for sharing the tricks about the lids and erasers

mountainhunter1

You are welcome.

One more thing - If you have a standard roughly 3.75 inch pot call, and you don't want to buy Woodhaven pot lids savers, you can save the tops off of a Daisy sour cream or Walmart Great Value sour cream mid size container. They work great. I usually just hit them with a bit of camo paint to hide the white that dominates those type lids in how they leave the store. Clean them up with a touch of alcohol before painting them and they work great and cost you nothing.

I do have a couple of builders who the sour cream lid will not quite fit (Lonnie Mabry is one good example), but 90 percent of your pots it should work great. All of Clay Townsends fit great as well as Brad Roberts, Nathan Taylor and Buster Halford, among most of the others.

Mike Yingling just makes a much smaller 3" pot, so I offered the Ovaltine lid initially in this thread as a possibility for his stuff.