OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red dot

Started by ScottTaulbee, February 27, 2023, 01:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I'm thinking about trying out a red dot this year, I've never used a nice one and not on a turkey gun either. I'm interested in the halosun 407cX2, the 507cX2, and the swamp fox Kingslayer. Any input on any of them is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge Rooster

I have several  407 Holosuns and Burris FF3's one Swampfox Kingslayer. My preference is for the Holosun. No good reason other than I like the "shakeawake" feture and battery life. All are good and better than beads or scopes.
JMO

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Greg Massey

I have a red dot, green circle dot and i have scopes ... my take on dot sights get the green circle dot .. My preference is a scope with either the diamond shape plex or circle plex ... Simmons pro diamond or the Nikon Turkey pro... For the money Kingslayer is hard to beat ... FF3 i don't care for them at all, just because of the battery design... IMO

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 27, 2023, 02:10:15 PM
I have a red, green circle dot and i have scopes ... my take on dot sights get the green circle dot .. My preference is a scope with either the diamond shape plex or circle plex ... Simmons pro diamond or the Nikon Turkey pro...
I have a Simmons pro dot. It got knocked off zero last year without me knowing and caused me to miss. I took it off and went with just the bead and I don't miss the scope at all. Then I got to thinking about these super tiny red dots that they make now and pairing it with a meadow creek mount on the rib so my cheek is still down on the stock. I've never used a meadow creek mount or one of the small red dots before, just figured I'd give it a try. I've had the old style, big red dot before and hated the thing because of how high I'd have to hold my head to use it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 27, 2023, 02:15:27 PM
I have a red, green circle dot and i have scopes ... my take on dot sights get the green circle dot .. My preference is a scope with either the diamond shape plex or circle plex ... Simmons pro diamond or the Nikon Turkey pro...
I have a Simmons pro dot. It got knocked off zero last year without me knowing and caused me to miss. I took it off and went with just the bead and I don't miss the scope at all. Then I got to thinking about these super tiny red dots that they make now and pairing it with a meadow creek mount on the rib so my cheek is still down on the stock. I've never used a meadow creek mount or one of the small red dots before, just figured I'd give it a try. I've had the old style, big red dot before and hated the thing because of how high I'd have to hold my head to use it.
  If it got knocked off, it wasn't the scope fault that caused you to miss, it was how it got knocked off that caused you to miss... IMO

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 27, 2023, 02:56:49 PM
  If it got knocked off, it wasn't the scope fault that caused you to miss, it was how it got knocked off that caused you to miss... IMO

Absolutely, it wasn't the scopes fault at all. But it opened my eyes that I don't want to take that chance again. The first shot knocked feathers out of the gobbler and the second shot I'm not sure where it ended up. I searched for hours to find that turkey and never did. I was sick about that for weeks and still am. I would rather not take that chance again if it's avoidable. That's why the small red dots are appealing to me, smaller size and less likely to be knocked off zero, I would think.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 27, 2023, 03:08:46 PM

Absolutely, it wasn't the scopes fault at all. But it opened my eyes that I don't want to take that chance again. The first shot knocked feathers out of the gobbler and the second shot I'm not sure where it ended up. I searched for hours to find that turkey and never did. I was sick about that for weeks and still am. I would rather not take that chance again if it's avoidable. That's why the small red dots are appealing to me, smaller size and less likely to be knocked off zero, I would think.

My only other advice is if you go to the dot site , get a guard for it ... i know again lots of people do use a guard for them, but in my opinion it's good insurance ...

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 27, 2023, 03:31:10 PM

My only other advice is if you go to the dot site , get a guard for it ... i know again lots of people do use a guard for them, but in my opinion it's good insurance ...
What do you mean a guard?. I'm sorry, I'm completely ignorant on anything to do with red dots

Greg Massey

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 27, 2023, 03:44:49 PM

What do you mean a guard?. I'm sorry, I'm completely ignorant on anything to do with red dots

Do a search on the forum.. lots of information about red dot etc...

Birddog1

I'm new to the current red dot scene.  Due to wearing bifocals I couldn't get a clear view of the fiber optics on my 835.  I bought a Holosun 507c, Swampfox Kingslayer, Meadow Creek rib mount and a Sumtoy Mount.  I got both sights in green circle dot. 

I really like the features on the Holosun - 3 reticles, auto, manual or lockout brightness, 32 MOA circle and 2 MOA dot.  I sighted in the gun yesterday with 3" and 3.5" and it performed perfectly.  That said, I'd be perfectly fine with the Swampfox and although the Holosun has more features it's more than double the cost.  I also preferred the Sumtoy Mount on the receiver vs. the Meadow Creek Rib Mount.  But when I did put it on the rib, it was rock solid.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you have listed. 

roosterstraw

I just bought my first reflex sight. Went worth the Holosun 507c. I don't regret it, it has a lot of great features.

slave601

Check out the new Burris fast fire 4. Longer battery life, circle dot reticle or just plain dot and a larger fov
"thinnin the flock"

PV266

I'll just answer you...Burris makes a metal guard called the Picatinny protector mount that partially covers the fastfire sights. I have one and like it.  I believe it will work with some other sights that share the Burris footprint.  Sumtoy who posts on here often may make a protector and a gentlemen on this forum, Gobbler74 makes a protective cover for sights as well.  Also STRIKE INDUSTRIES REX REFLEX EXOSKELETON MOUNT seems to be compatible with a lot of different red dots.   They all partially enclose the smaller red dots like the Burris Fastfires and Vortex venoms and similar footprints
giving them added protection from hunting abuses.

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 27, 2023, 04:02:36 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 27, 2023, 03:44:49 PM

Do a search on the forum.. lots of information about red dot etc...

Ranman

I have a Vortex Venom and a Swampfox Kingslayer.. like them both. Just add a padded comb riser if needed, make it very comfy.