Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ceramic Conditioning and Striker Recommendations?

Started by BDeal, February 26, 2023, 12:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

I see a lot of posts from people really liking ceramic pots. I've never really gotten one to sound all that great. For those that use them often, how do you condition them and what are some of your favorite strikers to use with them?

Thank You!

runngun

I only use alcohol wipes for ceramic and aluminum calls. That is it. Works well for me.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

turkeyhunter99x

Typically ceramic really doesn't slick off much but when it does I go over mine lightly with a conditioning stone & it normally lasts a while before I have to condition it again. My favorite striker on ceramic is Ipe.

Greg Massey

I never use a conditioning stone or sandpaper.. I use scotch - brite pad and i also keep my striker tip clean with the S B pad... Alcohol pads ever so often to completely clean the call..  This is all a good ceramic call needs to keep it running ... I have several and some are pretty old ...

wyetterp

Lon Trice suggested to use a light amount of acetone if things start to slip, which is rare. He suggested only alcohol if it is 99%. Not to use the 70% wipes unless it was the only thing you could get. After a few years of heavy running he said to just take a green scotch brite, lightly, if the previous doesn't work & it starts slipping.

My understanding is the only reason to ever take a stone to it is because you intentionally want two sounds from the call. Meaning you would also have two different striker areas. One untouched & scuffed.

I'm personally just sticking with one untouched striker area. I'm not entering any call competitions, just trying to eat turkeys. I feel like taking a stone to it is counter intuitive for what it is intended to sound like. Same goes for stoned & anodized aluminum. 
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

owego

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: owego on February 28, 2023, 07:23:46 AM
   Use the gray native stone in this kit & trouble is over. Works Great!!     http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/accessories/pro-pack-conditioner-kit/
Absolutely, best kit out there and best value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greentrout

Clean with alcohol while if the surface gets discolored. I have had to lightly condition my sweet spot with burgundy scotch brite after a year's worth of playing. Much easier to maintain compared to other surfaces in my experience.

I like snakewood and Rutland on mine, but my favorite believe it or not is a Lyman hickory
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

wyetterp

Bloodwood & a jlh tss cedar are a great combo. Makes two, way different sounding turkeys. Both run really clean on ceramic. Makes the louds & softs really easy. I hear a 3rd note on my Lonzo with those vs some other woods.

For raspier, I actually like mac ebony, dymondwood & frogwood over snakewood.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

CG1997