turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet Lanyard

Started by Greg Massey, February 22, 2023, 10:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

What is your preference with lanyards in carrying your trumpets , do you prefer the smaller dia. lanyard type or the heavier cord lanyard? Do you use a double type rig to carry more than one trumpet or do you prefer just carrying one trumpet on a lanyard ?  Do you just make something yourself to carry one or more around your neck?  Share your way of carrying your trumpets and what tricks you have learned ... I could see carrying more than one on a lanyard could possibly cause problems with them banging together etc... Share with us how you carry them... The ones who want to crack jokes, more on or start your own post...

GregGwaltney

I like 1 trumpet per lanyard, I usually only carry 1 or 2 trumpets anyway and it is easier/quieter that way. I prefer medium diameter lanyards/550 cord so they are not too stiff but still easy to grab, the small diameter stuff annoys me. I never put the trumpet around my neck until I sit/ stop to call, hate it dangling around. I am a noise freak though, hate any excess sounds while hunting.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Snood Life

I like the thinnest lanyard I can get. When running and gunning I stick the trumpet in my vest. The thin ones allow me to wrap it around the trumpet for ease for carrying.

packmule

My preference is for a lanyard similar to the ones that Austy Bott and Ralph Permar provide with their trumpets.  Small diameter and fairly long so I can stash the trumpet/wingbone underneath my shirt/coat.  But they also provide an adjustable slider that allows the user to shorten the lanyard which I do when I set up.

richard black

My preference is one lanyard with a single noose and just change the trumpet out if I want to use a different one. Then I don't have to wrap the lanyard back around the trumpet. I also have a Yoder 409 leather trumpet case that holds two trumpets, so it's easy to remove the lanyard noose from the one I'm using, switch it with the other trumpet, and that's it.
I don't like the noise of 2 trumpets hitting each other and possibly damaging one or both of them.  I like either the Permar type lanyard or the ones Anthony Ellis supplies with his trumpets. Anthony also makes a nice leather lanyard with a single noose.
And you just can't go wrong with a Yoder 409  case for protecting your valuable trumpets while hunting.

Gobbler428

I like a lanyard with a single noose. I like both the leather ones like Steve makes as well as the thinner cord type like Ralph Permar and KP provide with their trumpets. I have one of Yoder 409's cases and I also carry a trumpet around my neck with it tucked inside my shirt.

randywallace

The thin cord that came with it.  If there was a better way to do it, Cox would have already started putting them on his trumpets.

sbbow

Here my thought an just mine. If you want flexibility then yes paracord is the way to go whether it's braid or just a single strand. The extra drops I make hook really nice into a braided paracord lanyard if you decided to carry more then one call.

Leather just looks good no matter what you put it on. Yes it's not as flexible but if you tuck your call into a pocket an go then it's not an issue.

I prefer just a single noose an change out but I could see where having 2 drops is nice if you have a trumpet with interchangeable mouth pieces.

Hears a single strand lanyard that I make as well. Some call makers like these a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLAG

Greg, how do you carry your trumpet in the woods? I'm the same way with dangling stuff and figured out I could line a piece of PVC pipe with pipe insulation and I've got a $5 case that wont break but it's a bit heavy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

shoer2

Lanyard and put call in pocket of shirt too keep from hanging.

Tarheel

Years ago I purchased several spools of black braided fishing line.  A woman in the church I attend does braiding, and I asked her if she would braid several lanyards for me for my trumpet calls. I told her what I wanted, and she braided them for me.  The lanyard holds its loop, is extremely light....and just about indestructible. The lanyard is so light you can feel the weight of the trumpet, not the lanyard.  Now she makes all the lanyards for calls I make for family and friends.....and customers if they want to pay for one.

crow

I like 1 yelper per lanyard, usually hunt with 2 around my neck, 1 hangs inside a thin camo cloth sheath, other is in a shirt pocket style front vest pocket. no noise no flopping.

I have had very thin para cord up to braided leather, no preference as far as wearing them.
years ago used a leather boot lace on a wingbone and that was fine also.

sbbow

So the other day I was talking about my extra drops in a post above. This is what they can look like in a braid paracord lanyard. As you can see you can move them anywhere you want.

aclawrence

The leather lanyards the guys here on the forum make look really nice. As far as paracord I really like the ones I make out of the smaller diameter. I started making them with 550 but now I use 95lb paracord. It's not one small string cutting into your neck but it's way smaller than 550 and will wrap around your trumpet or wad up into a tiny ball and go in your pocket. I like a single drop on mine.

gmbellew

does anybody make a lanyard similar to the ones Ralph Permar provides? single thin paracord with the adjustment slider to adjust the hanging length?