OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpets / Lip Placement / Pressure

Started by Greg Massey, February 17, 2023, 11:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Do you find it takes a tighter lip pressure on the smaller diameter mouthpieces? On ones with a larger diameter do you find it takes less of a grip of the mouthpiece? .. ...   I find the control of your yelping easier with a larger diameter hole in the mouthpiece ... I will agree that sure the smaller diameter takes less air but more of a closed lip on the mouthpiece ... less on the larger ones ... What are the most used drill diameters of a mouthpiece it's all very interesting ... your opinions ... For the ones who want to CRACK JOKES about this post, please move on or why don't you start  a new post...

davisd9

Lips are the same. I hat large diameter mouthpieces.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on February 17, 2023, 12:05:00 PM
Lips are the same. I hat large diameter mouthpieces.
I agree the lips are the same, but lip pressure for me is different depending on the dia, of the mouthpiece ...

davisd9

Everything should be muscle memory so there should be no difference
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on February 17, 2023, 12:13:44 PM
Everything should be muscle memory so there should be no difference
I agree ... it's all very interesting ... in this learning process ... i enjoy learning from you guys who have been playing them for a long time and sharing what you have learned over the years.  I do appreciate the replies ....

Far2low

I enjoy a smaller hole, it's easier to get a raspy note

Meleagris gallopavo

Been thinking and dealing with different diameter mouthpieces lately.  I don't like the larger diameter but I'm convinced the wall thickness of the mouthpiece between the lipstop and end has something to do with things too.  Anyway, having to pull more air to get one to run is a problem.  I've figured out a few things to compensate for that, but at the end of the day a trumpet you can pick up and play well without having to figuring it out will most often make it to the turkey woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Greg Massey

Everyone has opinions and i welcome all of them with how you feel it takes to run your trumpets. Small / large / thickness / again this post is about sharing your experience in playing these regardless. SO again i encourage everyone to comment and share information ... It's not so much who's right or wrong but it's about sharing and learning from each other ... that's why we post and have this forum...

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on February 17, 2023, 06:17:46 PM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 17, 2023, 06:09:04 PM
Been thinking and dealing with different diameter mouthpieces lately.  I don't like the larger diameter but I'm convinced the wall thickness of the mouthpiece between the lipstop and end has something to do with things too.  Anyway, having to pull more air to get one to run is a problem.  I've figured out a few things to compensate for that, but at the end of the day a trumpet you can pick up and play well without having to figuring it out will most often make it to the turkey woods.

If I misunderstood the angle on your comments, please forgive me and get me back on track, and also - I am anything but the authority on the subject, but my feeling after hundreds of hours playing these type calls is that having to pull more air to get one to run is not so much a mouthpiece issue as it is an internal issue.

For example, a wingbone is just going to take more air to run than most trumpets just due to the internal design. Now, the mouthpiece may affect that some as well, but I feel the internals are the major issue on how much air is needed. That said, I tend more times than not to enjoy a smaller mouthpiece than a larger one as you are stating.
Since I've never made a trumpet, I tend to assume things based on what I see when I look down the internals and how they work when I run them.  So one of my assumptions is that the final internal diameter in the barrel is the same through the ferrule and through the end of the mouthpiece.  Bigger final diameter means more air to pull.  That being said, the internal diameter of the end of the barrel, coupled with the distance of constriction to the final internal diameter plays a role in how much air you pull.  However, I think the barrel design and material the barrel is made of have more effect on tone than playability.  The internal diameter added to the thickness of the mouthpiece wall determines the total outer diameter of the tip of the mouthpiece.  This in turn effects how much pressure you need to apply to your lips to get a seal at the end of mouthpiece.  Thicker the tip of the mouthpiece, coupled with a larger internal diameter = harder to play.  I'm stopping here as I may have reached a point of no return in showing my ignorance.

Crowstalker

I enjoy just reading all the different comments as it makes you think on maybe trying something different might work better. Been playing trumpets for 20 years but never to old to learn something new.

Brillo

There are so many variables between instruments and lips that I think (guess) that there are mouthpiece diameters that one person has to clamp down on while another person will get a good seal and draw easily.  I prefer the smaller diameter mouth piece and also a smallish stop given the right internals.  Maybe my lips are big?  I am learning that with my little trumpet I can manipulate the mouth piece and pressure to vary sounds but cannot do that as well with my wing bone or yelper that have bigger diameter mouth pieces.  I enjoy playing all these calls but am focusing on the trumpet because (I think) I play it he best. 

fordhunt

I myself like a small diameter mouthpiece and a small hole ,the reason why I can control how much pressure I'm pulling in on the call . The lip stop plays a huge factor in that . After you find the sweet spot for the stop it's all control and consistency.i Lean on the stop pretty hard only when I'm doing a kee kee .

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: fordhunt on February 18, 2023, 08:35:41 AM
I myself like a small diameter mouthpiece and a small hole ,the reason why I can control how much pressure I'm pulling in on the call . The lip stop plays a huge factor in that . After you find the sweet spot for the stop it's all control and consistency.i Lean on the stop pretty hard only when I'm doing a kee kee .
I agree about what you said about lipstop placement.  Each trumpet I have takes some lipstop adjustments to hit a sweet spot.  BTW, the trumpets I got from you have been sounding really good when practicing lately.

fordhunt

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 18, 2023, 09:16:55 AM
Quote from: fordhunt on February 18, 2023, 08:35:41 AM
I agree about what you said about lipstop placement.  Each trumpet I have takes some lipstop adjustments to hit a sweet spot.  BTW, the trumpets I got from you have been sounding really good when practicing lately.
I appreciate you bro ..

Sir-diealot

Does anyone find that the angle that they have the trumpet in their mouth makes a difference? I mean just strait in horizontal to the ground, tilted up, tilted down or maybe even cocked to the side at an angle maybe? Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."