turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpets / Lip Placement / Pressure

Started by Greg Massey, February 17, 2023, 11:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kygobblergetter

I'm finally starting to be able to play with looser lips like Davisd9 tried to help me learn months ago and I can notice a big difference in my sound and the level of rasp I'm able to achieve. I've been using this method on all my calls and I think it sounds better on all except my gwaltney. For some reason with that call I prefer to have my lips a little tighter as it gives me a nice clear two note help that sounds awesome to my ears at least. I think a lot of it is personal preference and which sound you're wanting to achieve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BennieGobbler

Great comments. I'm in process of learning as well. Gotta figure it out so thank everyone for help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Print by Madison, on Flickr

hpo

Ironic, as my Gwaltney (older style) almost vibrates and creates one of the best rasp of any of my trumpets. Seems like it has some thin walls despite it having the bulbous middle.
Shoot'em in the Face!

moyehow

Great discussion. 

Kygobblergetter

Mine is the old style as well. I sure love the unique look of them

Gawhitaker

I find that the lip pressure is determined by what sound i want to make, for raspy yelps is looser, for cuts and kee kees the lip are tighter, and almost pinched off behind the mouthpiece, regardless the diameter of the opening. Lost the lip stop off my favorite trumpet a few years ago, havent found it to be hinderance, also use two very different diameter mouthpiece wingbones, same approach, different tone . Years back fella killed a bearded hen in Kansas, told me if i made him a wingbone i could have the other set, this will raise eyebrows but i dont even carry the hen wingbone. Had more success with the others.

outdoornut

I think the less pressure the better. Tightened up , tense lips cause me problems. If my sound is off, I usually can loosen my lips and get straitened out.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk