OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

CZ Bobwhite G2 20g

Started by g8rvet, February 15, 2023, 07:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

That sounds like a bad shell/shells more than just a slightly less constricted choke

I had the same problem with reloads using blackpowder and the flight control wads, the shot stayed in the wad and hit the 40yd pattern paper like a slug. apparently the black powder didn't generate enough pressure for the back fin design to open. this was a 12 gauge blackpowder cartridge gun

A friend had the same slug issue using 20 gauge flight control wads in a muzzleloader with blackpowder

g8rvet

Not so good results today.  Got a little frustrated as it looks like I am having the same issue as you crow. Not sure how to proceed.  There are not commercially available fiber optic style rifle sights that fit this squared rib. 

The Imp Mod is on at 20 with #6 lead.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

Here is the 40 with the POA high and right. 

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

This is my Weatherby SA 459 for comparison. 

g8rvet

Looks like if I can get the POA higher, I will be good to go.  Could probably bring it back to square on as it looks like the best pattern is just low. 

crow

Your gun is much better than mine was for both elevation and windage, I think you'll be able to get POI centered.

For height adj.,-- if you're already using your mid bead as a rear sight with the fr bead sitting on top the mid bead "8" and it's shooting low as in the pattern pic. One option would be to put the bigger front bead back in (the one the gunsmith had in) as your mid bead, the larger diameter bead may give all the height adj necessary.

2nd option would be to file your choke, it won't take much, my first filing moved the pattern almost twice as far as yours needs to move.

3rd option, probably back to the gunsmith. you could get a 3/8ths dovetail cut into the rib and slide a rear sight right on. you won't need a rear sight with much height. I did this to a different gun and put a traditional type of muzzleloader rear sight on it. just flat across the top, no buckhorn sticking up. I didn't cut a "U" notch in it, just left it flat across the top. The front bead sits on top the rear sight, you eye will automatically center the bead, very fast and accurate.
In the off season for wing shooting, tap it out, you could have your gunsmith make you a flat base to slide in that he has drilled and tapped for a mid bead

there is a aftermarket fiberoptic front, I think mine is HighViz, I'll look tomorrow. You unscrew the front bead and the fiber optic is on a little black frame which screws right into the front bead hole, no drilling or tapping. I couldn't find a fiber optic rear that clamped onto the rib either.

For your adjustment to the left, it would take very little filing or if you went with a dovetail rear sight it would only have to be very slightly off center to the left to move the pattern over.

Nice even HVWT #7 pattern

g8rvet

Thanks, getting closer.  SIL had a sight that actually fits on the gun.  I am having some consistency issues with the patterns.  I think the Trulock TSS choke is too constricted (555) and maybe blowing the pattern some - so I ordered a 571.  I am gonna keep the 555 in case I ever try it with TSS and see how the 571 dose.  Season opens Saturday, but this one is staying on the shelf until I get it right.

Fillmoregandt

I just shot my new CZ Bobwhite G2 20ga this weekend.  Great looking gun. I was only able to shoot it a few times, but it seemed to shoot a little low at 35 using Federal tss 7's 1 1/2.  I'd hunt with it tomorrow if I had to, but really need to shoot it a few more times (would probably tote my 870 20 if I were hunting tomorrow honestly)

Good info above, Crow.  I'm thinking I'll put a mid bead on first, to try to raise it.  Don't need much, but I definitely think I could come up a bit.  May need to read up on choke filing if it comes to that

Any remedies for patterning wide right/left?

Really excited about this gun.  The all-terrain version definitely is a looker.  Now to make it a shooter

g8rvet

Let us know how it goes when you pattern it.  These forums are great for shortening the learning curve on a new gun. 

Fillmoregandt

g8rvet, it looks like if you raised the POI about 8" or so, then you'd be good to go...would that be a fair assessment?   Pattern looks okay, just low.

I was only able to shoot a handful of times this past weekend, but my results seem pretty similar.  Taking it tomorrow to get a mid bead installed

Also, what type of sight did your SIL have that fit?

Fillmoregandt

Crow, could you explain the mid bead/figure 8 a little more?  When you're looking down the barrel and are stacking the two beads over the bird's head, are you using the bottom (mid) bead as your POA?  Or covering the POI with the middle of the 8? 

I'm sure shooting it a few times will determine the correct answer, but just want to get an idea of where to begin.   

As g8rvet said, this forum discussion is great for navigating the patterning process

g8rvet

Quote from: Fillmoregandt on March 17, 2023, 11:49:18 AM
Also, what type of sight did your SIL have that fit?

It was an older version of this one:
https://www.truglo.com/tru-point-xtreme/

I just slid it along the rib until it was tight and then cranked it down.  The front bead will  not work though as there is not enough rib to attach.  I am trying it using the existing front bead.

g8rvet

Quote from: Fillmoregandt on March 17, 2023, 11:49:18 AM
g8rvet, it looks like if you raised the POI about 8" or so, then you'd be good to go...would that be a fair assessment?   Pattern looks okay, just low
That is what I am thinking.  I did have some issues with it being inconsistent on the paper though.  Gonna try a 571 and see how the pattern is as well.  Read some folks have better luck getting consistent pattern with 562-572.  The Weatherby is a 560 I believe.

If I can get 130s and no holes at 40 yards I will be happy.

Season opens tomorrow but I will leave it at home. Wish I had it dialed in, it is supposed to rain for much of the day. 

Fillmoregandt

In my long barrel, I'm using the Carlson flush XF, which is .585.  My pattern looked good, just low.

Next time I'll be able to shoot will be next weekend, so will get to get some pics then.

Thanks for everyone's info in the thread.  Very helpful for my first time dialing in a sxs

crow

Quote from: g8rvet on March 16, 2023, 01:00:29 PM
Thanks, getting closer.  SIL had a sight that actually fits on the gun.  I am having some consistency issues with the patterns.  I think the Trulock TSS choke is too constricted (555) and maybe blowing the pattern some - so I ordered a 571.  I am gonna keep the 555 in case I ever try it with TSS and see how the 571 dose.  Season opens Saturday, but this one is staying on the shelf until I get it right.

The fiber optic front I put on is a HI VIZ  "Flashpoint front sight", on the back of the box above the barcode it is (FP1001) I think I got it at Midway but not sure.
It comes with 7 interchangeable fiber rods, some are tall which will make you shoot even lower. It has several screws, 1 of them will fit the threads on the Bobwhite. Was very simple, cz bead unscrewed, then screw the new bracket in existing hole.

according to the chart on Trulocs website the bobwhite bore is .626. Mossberg 500 and Rem 870 are .620
so the BW is a little bit overbored and .555 is more of a constriction in it than in the others, .555 may be too tight for the old HVWT 7's and TSS 7's, probably will be great with tss 9's.
my BW with the Truloc .571 in the distance barrel with 1 5/8oz of #9 TSS is around 300 in the 10" at 40yds. the .571 also patterns TSS 8's very well.

If you file your choke, what I was told and read it will slightly open your pattern so start with a tighter choke than you want to end up with. Mine did not seem to noticeably open up.

an example, for the Bantam, truloc made a specific choke for the old HVWT 7's, patterned great, consistent in the mid 150's in 10" 40yds. it blew patterns with the Fed HVWT #6's and also blew Patterns on TSS 7's, same 1.5oz of shot.

Your so close if that new rear site has adj. I think that should do it