Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Paralysis by Analysis - Choke Tube for youth model 870

Started by OKbirdhunter, March 10, 2023, 01:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OKbirdhunter

Hello all, I recently acquired a youth model 20 gauge 870 and plan to turn it into a dedicated turkey gun. The volume of threads on setting up these guns has led to some paralysis by analysis. I'm trying to determine what choke I should get for this gun with the following things in mind:

- I plan to shoot 3" 1.5 oz #7 TSS loads out of the gun. I have some flexibility on loads, I could get some different shells if need be, but I already have 2 boxes of the TSS, so I would like to pair up a choke that would work with these loads
- I don't plan to shoot at a bird over 40 yards. I don't feel the need to have this gun choked down like a rifle, just something that will reliably put together a pattern that results in a dead turkey at 40 yards and in

I have historically just shot a 12 gauge Benelli Montefeltro with #7 TSS out of the factory Full choke tube, so my thought would be that any of these special turkey chokes would be at least as good as my current setup. I'm not a big "gun guy" so I was hoping that the experts on this board might help to point me in the right direction.

If you have any choke suggestions, I'm all ears.

randywallace

If you want an even pattern and will not shoot past 40, you will likely get what you want from a factory full choke which is around .582.

If you find the pattern too open and you want to dial it down, move toward a .570.  You can keep moving down to constrict the pattern to your liking, but eventually you will get to the point of diminished returns and can eventually blow the pattern completely. 

Many of the folks shooting really tight patterns are shooting chokes in the .555, .562, or .565 range.  On some setups, a .555 will blow the pattern.

If you buy a new choke, it is hard to go wrong with JEBS, Indian Creek or SumToy in the numbers listed.

RLAG

Im running the same gun this year. I put a Carlson's EF extended choke .585 on it and it gives me 8" at 20 and a killing pattern every time at yardages well beyond your 40yd cap. Shooting rogue tss #9 1 5/8oz

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

CALLM2U

If I were you, before I spent a penny on another choke, I'd shoot the factory full.  It's likely to be very near what you're after. 

mountainhunter1

Quote from: CALLM2U on March 10, 2023, 02:51:36 PM
If I were you, before I spent a penny on another choke, I'd shoot the factory full.  It's likely to be very near what you're after.

Wise counsel right here - put a turkey load or two of what you plan to hunt with down the barrel before dropping 90-100 dollars on a new choke. Probably a 75% chance that the factory full will do all that you want and then some.

Just shoot a large enough sheet of paper to catch your whole load and don't worry so much about point of aim. Draw a ten/twenty circle in the tightest part of the pattern and you will know what you have got. You can true the point of aim up later if need be.

I shoot a lot and would love to see your patterns if you can post them later on. I am always trying to figure out more and more what works and what does not. Good luck with your efforts.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

sswv

I've had that same gun for several years. The factory super full turkey choke is actually .572 and shoots about everything I've put thru it very well. I also have a TruLok .562 that I shoot Federal Heavy 7's thru and it does an awesome job.  I have tried a LOT of chokes over the years and these two have out shined all the rest hands down in my 21" barrel.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BandedSpur

Unless required by law to shoot nothing smaller than 7s, do yourself a favor and ditch the 7s. Anything smaller -  8s, 8.5s, or better yet, 9s, will give much better patterns through whatever choke you choose. Having shot nothing but TSS 9s since 2009, the pile of turkeys that have fallen to them strongly refute what a well respected writer recently wrote in a well respected hunting magazine about TSS 7s being needed to kill turkeys. Shooting TSS 7s at turkeys is analagous to shooting lead 2s at doves, and who would do that?

chipper

Been shooting a 870 youth since '07, if legal got to the 9's, I have smoked a pile of birds with them. As far as chokes go it all depends on what you want, in my humble opinion the Indian Creek .555 and .562 are the ticket but I run a red dot, the tried and true factory SF was a little open in my 870 but shot lights out in my sons 870, also set up with a red dot, the .570 Titewad also is a fantastic choke also I have a custom Pure Gold .562 that is a killer choke. All my loads are hand loaded so not a apples to apples comparison

Uncle Tom

OKbirdhunter, the youth 870 have what barrel length? I shoot a 870 Fieldmaster in 20 ga in 26"barrel using handloads of 1 5/8 TSS #9's. I agree with get some #9 if you can. I shoot a Carlson 575 and the barrel needs to be cleaned real good. Someone posted few days ago to run a cotton ball with DA alcohol down the barrel after cleaning to get all the oil out and that will help tighten up the pattern. I just shot a pattern a few days ago at 40 yds and put 299 in the 10" and 189 in the 20". That is with a total of 590 pellets in a 20 ga shell. Have not shot the full choke in it so it might give you what you looking. Let us know how it goes.

goindeep

Sumtoy 562 for me in that same config....mesa urbino pistol grip and tss 9s....stone cold killer.

Ranman

I shoot Carlson's .575 in mine. The Remington SF also shoots well, it is .572 constriction.

Bigfootwolff

I shoot the Carlson's Longbeard XR choke .568 constriction.  Shoots Winchester Longbeards and TSS 9s great at 40 yards.

Bigfootwolff

Quote from: Bigfootwolff on March 17, 2023, 02:10:12 AM
I shoot the Carlson's Longbeard XR choke .568 constriction.  Shoots Winchester Longbeards and TSS 9s great at 40 yards.
[/qu4ote]

The above is what I shoot in an 870 20 gauge youth model, but am following for new recommendations.  Currently shooting lead loads out to 40 yards.