turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

CZ Bobwhite G2 20g

Started by g8rvet, February 15, 2023, 07:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Just finished shooting my Bobwhite today.  Trulock Imp Mod in one barrel, Trulock TSS choke in the other (the constriction is on their site). 

Shot #8 birdshot at 15 steps with both barrels.  Tiny bit, but good pattern. 

Left barrel with IM choke - Shot #6 1.25 ounce Prairie Storm at 20 steps.  A little lower, pattern good.  Shot  #6 1 ounce Prairie Storm.  Also good and a little low. 

Shot TSS choke with Fed HW #7 at 25 steps in right barrel, but aimed at the birds head instead of waddles - poison. 

Switched the chokes and shot left barrel aimed at bird's head with TSS choke and HW#7 at 40 steps (did this because my finger tended to go to back trigger more naturally).  TERRIBLE.  Unhuntable pattern.  WTH?   No way this was possible.  The 25 was awesome.  Made sure the chokes were tight.  Got to wondering and said well, let's switch chokes back (IM in Left and TSS in right).  Aimed at head - dead on and excellent pattern.  No idea unless it was a bad shell. 

Final result - IM in left barrel, Prairie Storm 3" #6 with 1.25 ounce - killer at under 25 yards.
TSS choke in right barrel, HW#7 3" - stone killer from 25-40.  No sights needed, just aim at his head. 

Took the gun to a smith today to have a sling mount drilled and tapped and had them put a mid bead on it to  make sure I keep the gun square when mounted (since we sometimes get in weird positions on birds). I am gonna shoot one more 40 once the new bead is on, just to be sure.

Sorry, I forgot to take pics, but wanted to share in case anyone is setting one up in the future.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

runngun

Thanks for sharing this with us!!! I am loving my CZ Sharptail 20 gauge. I really want to sling mine as well. Just don't know if I really want to drill it  or not. They're good looking guns for sure. This year I will be toting the CZ SxS or my 28 gauge. The struggle is real!!!

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Lone Star Eastern

I have a Bobwhite 20 I got when my son was born that I'll eventually pass down to him. I got it for a quail/woodcock gun, but I'd like to take a turkey with it. Did you shoot through the included Full choke at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

I did not.  I am quite sure it would be a good 30 yard gun with that choke though. 

I did real well with it on live quail too, but that double trigger is my first and whooped me that day.  Not a lot of doubles! 

The Sharptail is nice.  I just picked up a CZ Drake in 28 and broke 92 on a sporting clay course (it was the easy course - but I was still happy with that). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Lone Star Eastern

This is my first double trigger, but I got used to it fairly quick. Pumps on the other hand....

Fillmoregandt

Good info.  Waiting for my Bobwhite G2 to come in, and this will be very helpful

Currently trying to decide between flush or extended chokes.   Any benefits one way or the other?  I like the aesthetics of extended chokes, but with the 28" barrel already, I'm afraid it would make for too long of a barrel.  Maybe not. May be overthinking it

Lone Star Eastern

I prefer the traditional look of this sxs, so I've never tried. There was a thread somewhere though that specified which worked without touch each other, which you have to worry about with ext chokes in sxs's. Again, I like the traditional look.

g8rvet

I got the extended.  I just know how well the Trulocks perform and went with that and they worked well on the gun, so I am good.  With Trulock or Sumtoy if the choke is not what you want, you are not stuck with it.

crow

I really like the looks of flush chokes in a sxs better, but did get better patterns with ext.chokes.
my gun has a Truloc in the left and a Carlsons in the right, both extended, they don't touch.

I talked with both choke makers, you can put 2 extended Carlsons in without them touching and the same For 2 extended Trulocs

A 28" barrel in a break open gun is shorter than the same barrel in a pump or semi, I don't notice the extra length of an ext.

crow

g8rvet,

It sounds like you got a good one as far as barrel regulation.

g8rvet

I did as long as I put tight in the right and open in the left.  The other way stunk. 

crow

That is weird, the reversed chokes would have me messed up in the heat of the moment

I tried the flush Truloc .581 first and patterns weren't bad just not quite there, talked with George and went with the ext. .571, This was for TSS in the left barrel. This left barrel/choke combo patterns 1 7/16s oz better than 1 5/8oz or 1.5oz, barrels can be weird.

In the spring in more open hardwoods the right barrel has a Carlsons .575, it didn't do that great with HVWT 7's or 6's

For fall turkey I set the gun up like yours except chokes reversed, lead 6's in the right for jumping a grouse or pheasant, close turkeys or shooting to break a flock

g8rvet

I think I am gonna switch them back and waste one more shell.  I just can't imagine it could be that different and wonder if it was a bad shell.  I am talking at 40 yards the left barrel having like 8 pellets hit one of the Birchwood Casey target (all on the fringes) vs 150+ in the 10 inch circle with the right barrel-same choke, screwed in tight.

As a two trigger shooting though, let me ask you.  When I pop that thing up to my shoulder, I almost always went to the back trigger on the quail rise, which put me behind the curve on a second bird having the kind of find the front instead of sliding off to the back.   Makes me think I should have it the way it is now with the more open choke in the back trigger.  Most likely to rush/panic on a close bird. 

crow

Could be a bad shell, I have had occasional poi vs poa with older Fed HVWT shells, not sure if the flight control wad being compressed over time interferes with the design. I reload but bought some of the Fed TSS several years ago during that special sale, they patterned great when new, but have also had poi issues with them. I was a big fan of the HVWT before reloading tss, but if you try tss maybe get away from the flight control wad.

With the situation of you naturally going to the back trigger first with quail, it almost sounds like the front trigger pull length is too long, or if your not used to the straight stock maybe not sliding your hand up close enough to the trigger guard.
My BW has the same trigger length as other guns that fir me well but something in the design makes it feel a little longer.

Traditionally the majority of sxs's  were set up with front trigger/right barrel as the more open choke and most people find it faster to go to the front trigger first and slide back to the back trigger for the 2nd shot. There were some English guns made for driven hunts that were built with the tighter choke in the right barrel, The shooter still shot the front trigger first as birds were coming towards him and then a more open choke for the 2nd shot as birds kept getting closer.

I have thought about your way for turkeys, the shorter trigger pull is handy when shooting like a rifle in awkward positions and the front trigger (normal trigger pull length) for wingshooting if a fast followup shot is needed.

runngun

I had an issue with my CZ Sharptail with the right barrel and improved cylinder choke. The reason I had the improved cylinder in was my fault. I thought I was shooting the modified. Shooting Federal 8/10s at 40 yards blew a hole in the paper like a slug. Did this twice, same shells before I figured out that I had the wrong choke in. Very few BBs on target, just a slug hole,  I guess the shot didn't separate from the wad.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.