turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommendations on Ceramic Pot Calls

Started by GunRunner, February 13, 2023, 11:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

My goal this year is to acquire a ceramic pot.
I'm seeking recommendations from you guys who use them and consider them one of your 'go to' calls. If possible please include contact info on any recommended call makers.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance !!

GunRunner
  :turkey:

BTH

I've had the k&h ol yeller back in the day....very good call. Several years ago I got the original Halloran ceramic, then a stumpy ceramic in a walnut pot, then a blackstone cherry ceramic ...very nice call. Then I got a  Pecker Wrecker ceramic followed by a Gary Anderson padauk ceramic. I only kept the Stumpy. Sold everything else. Lots of good folks out there that make very nice ceramic calls including the guys mentioned above. Others that deserve mention are Jimmy Schaffer, Pastor Larry halford AKA Buster, Mark Cornelius and several others.

I believe you can get in touch with several of them here through pm.
Phil 4:13

PennBirdy

Chris Brumfiel makes an excellent ceramic in an acrylic pot. It's a wet weather call, but he designed it for much more than just that. Great guy to talk with too.

https://chrisbrumfielturkeycallsandmor.godaddysites.com/

outdoors

Richard Gunn  makes a excellent ceramic call
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

MDTOM84

Find one of the older David Halloran ceramics, imo best out there

TauntoHawk

I've had a bunch of ceramic after using the old K&H to kill my first bird I favored them over slates as they were less temperamental, had an older halloran, jimmy Schaeffer, and a houndstooth cherry all were good and killed birds but my favorite was the houndstooth I ended up breaking it and haven't replaced it but it great. Halloran was right there too I just didn't have it long before I gave it to a friend

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

roosterstraw

Stumpy and Buster are the ones I have. Both are good calls.

bowbird87

Busters Walnut or Mahoe tops the list for me.

rong

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

ChesterCopperpot

Outside those already mentioned, Travis Wyatt. My favorites are my Brumfiel and Wyatt. Both guys are on the forum. Travis is [mention]twyatt [/mention]. Chris is [mention]Chris Brumfiel [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Ridge Reaper

Chris Brumfiel's ceramic call stays in my vest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Your going to get a lot of good recommendations on who are some of the best and from those mention they all make a good ceramic pot call... A couple that i will add that want break the bank and are good call builders of ceramic pots are Jim Shelly - his ceramic in a cherry pot and Kenneth Mullins - ceramic in a cherry pot... with ceramic, what makes it a good call is just how much conditioning it really needs. I've seen people ruin a good ceramic pot by way of sanding / sandpaper or using a conditioning stone on that surface ... throw that stuff... A good quality ceramic all it needs is cleaning ever so often with an alcohol pad and in between rubbing it with a piece of Scott Bite pad.   Also keep your striker tip clean and that ceramic will play among the best of any other call surfaces.   If i were buying another ceramic pot today i would want it in a cherry pot... and believe me i have a bunch of ceramic pots from those mentioned in this post that again are good ceramic calls..Carrying for your ceramic pot means a lot in how well it will play and perform over time... IMO... I hope this helps with your decision...

Big Jeremy

My favorite is Buster's in a mahoe pot. Absolutely fantastic. JLH bloodwood on it is my favorite. Yingling carbon fiber if it's a bit wet out.

Rtr1987

I'd recommend Mr. Richard Gunn or Mr. Mike Robare. Both make fantastic pot calls and both are great guys to deal with.