News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth call for closing the deal

Started by VAlongbeard84, February 02, 2023, 07:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAlongbeard84

Ok guys,
I know this is going to get a ton of different opinions, but I am curious what everyone thinks here. I definitely am no beginner on a mouth call, but I definitely do not use them as much as a pot or box call. I like to use my pot calls and box calls to initially call to a turkey and get him close, but in the last 50 to 60 yards, typically will use a mouth call to call with soft talk if needed to finish a bird off to get him within range for a shot. I hunt by myself a lot, so a mouth call is definitely an asset to my arsenal in the close in situations. What cut and brand call is your favorite for soft calling only to lure a gobbler into range?
Just trying to see if I see a trend because I'm gonna buy a couple more calls to play with for this purpose, but want everyone's opinion. Thanks for your time!

deathfoot

I use my box to close the deal so I have no idea. Love the extra challenge of doing that..working my box while I can see him. Adds to the game. But I don't use mouth calls and it's a personal preference. I'll cutt at him with a box at 200 yards or 50 yards or 20 yards. It's the fun of it to me.

VAlongbeard84

Makes perfect sense. Might have to try that with a box this year.

roberthyman14

The cut depends on your mouth structure.  Some cuts play better for different people.  Currently I'm running gooserbat calls. Bat wing cut

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Big Jeremy

My top three calls are:
3. Gooserbat bacon (the option may tie this one)
2. Matt Van Cise red or orange ghost
1. Pinhoti Grey ghost

I love that Grey ghost. Works better for my mouth shape/size than any other mouth call I've tried. I have some new purple ghosts from him on the way...looking forward to trying them.

Center of call cuts work best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RH1

What you blow best, are comfortable using and have the most confidence in....everything else is hype. Same on ANY call.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

VAlongbeard84

I typically favor a combo cut the most. It is very comfortable for me, but some have obviously thicker reeds than others. Looking for something with minimal air and combo cut. Any suggestions?

deathfoot

:welcomeOG:
Quote from: VAlongbeard84 on February 02, 2023, 07:23:25 PM
Makes perfect sense. Might have to try that with a box this year.

I'll also use a pot to close the deal. Place that pot on the ground. Have your gun sitting on your knee, use your hand to make some yelps or clicks with you other hand on the pot. When he shows up in range move that hand to the trigger and Boom. End of game.  Almost undetectable. Mouth calls aren't needed to close any deal IMO.

But I'm an outlaw I think in this thinking. It's worked for me for 27 years tho.

WildTigerTrout

I usually will start and finish with the same mouth call.  However I do remember one stubborn old gobbler that hung up on me.  I moved away from him and relocated to a different spot and then changed mouth calls and continued the game.  I had to move on him a third time and change mouth calls for the third time.  I guess the third time was the charm as I finally coaxed him into range.  Total time start to finish, 2 hours 50 minutes!  What a RUSH!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Greg Massey

crow

For a mouth call for what your describing a Denny Gulves Masters Choice and Sadler McGraw Ghostcut works for me

Gooserbat

I personally try to use something I can play soft.  I propose build my One n Done call for a finisher but there's a lot of good soft calls out there. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Yoder409

I use one diaphragm start to finish.  If a call won't scream one minute then whisper the next.......IMHO..
...it's best left at home.  Or in the trash.

Been using Gooserbat's Heckler for a good while.  His DTW is also superb !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Cottonmouth

I like a ghost cut for soft calling. My top 3 are:

Gooserbat OSS
Houndstooth 3 reed ghost cut
Woodhaven toxic orange

compton30

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 02, 2023, 10:07:16 PM
I use one diaphragm start to finish.  If a call won't scream one minute then whisper the next.......IMHO..
...it's best left at home.  Or in the trash.

This ^^^^