turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting dog?

Started by SouthernThunder, June 20, 2011, 06:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernThunder

Looking for a good all around breed. Will probably use it for blood tracking and maybe coon and/or hog hunting. Any ideas?

If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, "Roll, tide, roll!"
                                                        -Bear Bryant

savduck

All round hunting or just hogs, coons and blood trailing. For those three I would say a Black and Tan.

For all round hunting...like upland, ducks, blood tracking....a lab or drathar
Georgia Boy

Reloader

I would go Curr for all around.  You can train them for many diff styles of hunting.  A friend of mine has two Catahoula Currs and they are natural great hunters for Hog and Squirrel as well as great blood trackers.  Since they tree well for squirrel, I believe you could get them on coons fairly easy as well by just taking them out at night. His will bay and tree on the hogs and squirrels.  For deer, they run to them and bay.

I had a Black Mouth and she was very smart as well.  You can even train them like a lab for fetching on land or water as well as the basic sit, stay, etc.  House training was even a breeze with my black mouth.

SouthernThunder

I was actually thinking curs so thats good. You know any good breeders for catahoulas or black mouths in the south? I live in Florida but go to the U of Alabama so any around those two areas!

If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, "Roll, tide, roll!"
                                                        -Bear Bryant

Tail Feathers

My wife was watching Animal Planet and they said the Catahoula Leopard Dog was one of the most intelligent and easily trained.  Looks like a winner combo to me.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

savduck

I forgot about currs. They are good all round dogs....big time squirrel dogs too.

Never heard anyone call a curr and a catahola one in the same. I know the hog dog guys around here have them. Those cataholas are sought after down here for hogs. I picked up one in the river duck hunting this season and called the fella on the collar. He said the dog had been gone 10 days. It saw some deer and jumped out the truck to get after them.

Ive seen a bunch of Cataholas in SC. A lot of the plantations on the Edisto and Savannah River have them. you could probably find them pretty easy on the net.
Georgia Boy

gobbler74

Chevy or Dodge but may consider Yota.. ;)
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"