OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got the Stevens dialed in today...

Started by Turkeytail, January 28, 2023, 01:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytail

I really kicked the idea of buying a 410 Stevens 301 around for the last few years but never did pull the trigger... UNTIL I saw this one in Mossy Oak Original Bottomland... had to have it! I topped it with a Holosun 407c red dot and bought some Federal #9 TSS shells to get the gun sighted in using the factory choke... opening day here in my part of SC is March 22nd.

So here you go... 203 hits in a 10" circle at 20 yards and 72 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I think the 40 yard pattern is good enough to kill a bird, but that would be my max shot distance.... it usually is anyway!
12ga Mossberg 500
410ga Stevens 301
Mossy Oak Camo

Leadchunker

Try some apex 9.5 definitely patterns better in my gun with factory choke

owlhoot

After market choke may help. Think you could do better with it. Of course only if you feel the need to shoot 40 yards.
Neat little gun.

Greg Massey

They are nice little guns, if i had to do it over, i wouldn't have ever bought one of them... Same with Nomad 410 ... IMO
I also have the 301 in 20 gauge another mistake .. as you can tell i just don't care for them....

tracker#1

Unfortunately, my factory choke was junk. I upgraded to an Indian Creek .390 and Foxtrot ammo tss #8.5s Averaging high 130s @ 40 and I have seen even better, over 200 hits with some guns and smaller tss. I have to admit that It felt strange carrying the gun into the turkey woods after many years of hauling 12s around. But it has killed a couple of gobblers...

Sim1982

I'm shooting a nitro .390 with viper straight 10's and getting 230 to 240 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards I absolutely love my little 301. I also have the bottomland camo but mine has the thumbhole stock

btomlin

Curious if you mic'd your factory choke.  Mine was right at .388 and shoots pretty surprising at 40yrds with Fed 9.5s.