OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Anybody using an ebike for turkey hunting?

Started by Brillo, January 25, 2023, 06:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Ridge Reaper

I ordered a Rambo today..Well see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brillo

I  have a Rambo and like it.  I bought a new suspensions seat for it and will be putting it on this weekend.  Season starts here in Mi a week from Saturday.  My only concern is the range in steep terrain and getting it recharged.  Most of my area is pretty flat with a thirty foot rise being a mountain.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Flatsnbay on April 08, 2023, 07:39:30 AM
Other than the legality in some places, are there any negatives with using an e bike in the woods for hunting?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Sure, all of a sudden spots that take effort to hunt and therefore hold high populations of game start to diminish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lcmacd 58

I've really considered it ... my knees hurt every night ....

eggshell

I really like the idea of an e-bike as I get older (68 now with a mild heart condition). My beef is with the guys who use them in closed areas. Yesterday we parked at a NF gate very early so we could walk the 2 miles before gobble time. A truck pulls in and a guy runs down his window and I ask what he wants and he is very nice and ask if we're going out the ridge or across the road on that ridge. We explain we are going out the road behind the gate 2 miles out. Again he is very considerate and promises that area is ours. He then says he has an e-bike and he would like to just park beside us and ride it up and down the main road to other ridges. I agreed instantly as two trucks are more a deterant than one. In those talks we say we better take off because we have a 45 minute walk and he replies it's only 10 minutes out there on my bike. Now this raod is closd to motorized vehicles, but in the past he has ridden out it and all the other closed roads in the area. I get grumpy when I have walked 2 miles and zoom, someone flies by me on an e-bike. Then I find that e-bike chained to a tree right at my target spot. I would never do it but I heard some have come back to bikes with flat tires before. That is my only negative. I would use one on our family farm not public land.

Marc

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 14, 2023, 12:41:59 PM
Sure, all of a sudden spots that take effort to hunt and therefore hold high populations of game start to diminish

Very true...

With the advent of technology (such as OnX or GAIA), lots of little out of the way and unknown gems are no longer unknown...  And if they are even easier to get to, those gems will turn into cheap plastic...

Currently, technology has pretty much ruined several duck hunting spots, and most of my turkey hunting  spots.

But, those spots are great if you are young enough and capable to get to them...  As we get older, those E-Bikes become A LOT more appealing.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Marc on April 19, 2023, 11:23:48 AM

Very true...

With the advent of technology (such as OnX or GAIA), lots of little out of the way and unknown gems are no longer unknown...  And if they are even easier to get to, those gems will turn into cheap plastic...

Currently, technology has pretty much ruined several duck hunting spots, and most of my turkey hunting  spots.

But, those spots are great if you are young enough and capable to get to them...  As we get older, those E-Bikes become A LOT more appealing.
I'd be fine with a stipulation for ppl over 60

Sir-diealot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 19, 2023, 11:28:15 AM

Very true...

Disability should be another consideration. It should be specified to be a physical disability and not a mental one like ADD/ADHD or something like that. I am so messed up I could not even ride one.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Lcmacd 58

Check your regs ..... here in Illinois its considered a motorized vehicle ....

Big Timber

sasquatch1

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 21, 2023, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 19, 2023, 11:28:15 AM

Very true...

Disability should be another consideration. It should be specified to be a physical disability and not a mental one like ADD/ADHD or something like that. I am so messed up I could not even ride one.
I like that. Especially if specified, as I know a lot of people that milk the disability system and abuse it.