OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Anybody using an ebike for turkey hunting?

Started by Brillo, January 25, 2023, 06:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

My wife and I bought ebikes last summer and love riding them on dirt roads and two tracks.  But I was thinking... that might be an effective way to cover ground quietly and find more turkeys.   

eggshell

You are correct and I know people who bike to scout and hunt turkeys. I would check yourr regulations for public land use. Most access roads behind forest gates are marked "no motorized vehicles". I think that an ebike qualifies as motorized and not legal.

Brillo

Thanks eggshell.  I am not planning illegal or disruptive riding.  Just back roads and ungated two tracks.

wareagle22

I have used a Rad Rover ebike for 5 years now and it's the best thing since sliced bread!!!  I can go anywhere virtually undetected and have ridden right up on turkeys and a pile of deer.   My bike can easily go 15-20 miles without having to recharge it.   I use pedal assist on mine so it gets a lot longer range.  I have toted a pile of turkeys out in the basket of my ebike and will NEVER turkey hunt without one again.   I can cover so much ground with it and be listening for gobbles the entire time.  Try it and I guarantee you that you won't regret it.

Brillo

Thanks wareagle.  I'd heard about ebikes not bothering deer but had not heard about turkeys.   I have found a lot of turkeys after 10:00 by driving my truck around and looking down cross roads and trails but I am sure I am passing birds I don't see or hear.   The problem with the truck is that I often need to go a long ways down the road before I can find a place to pull off.  Then I backtrack on foot.  My bike is easier to pull off and ditch.  We'll see how it goes.

mudhen

Not legal in many public places I hunt, so I have not looked into an E-Bike just yet...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Duckdogdad

OP, I use mine in hunting. Saves a tremendous amount of time and energy. I'm soon to be 73... believe me, my energy level is much better using the bike verses walking. I have three long ridge roads. I will ride them to a point then walk into a food plot or drop off into a bottom. Another 10 to 15 years will probably be my max on the bikes. Think I will get an electric utv so I can hunt until I am a 100.

Marc

Quote from: eggshell on January 25, 2023, 06:38:27 AM
I would check yourr regulations for public land use. Most access roads behind forest gates are marked "no motorized vehicles". I think that an ebike qualifies as motorized and not legal.
Just remove the signs, and you are good to go! ;D
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Brillo

Quote from: Duckdogdad on March 31, 2023, 08:08:34 PM
OP, I use mine in hunting. Saves a tremendous amount of time and energy. I'm soon to be 73... believe me, my energy level is much better using the bike verses walking. I have three long ridge roads. I will ride them to a point then walk into a food plot or drop off into a bottom. Another 10 to 15 years will probably be my max on the bikes. Think I will get an electric utv so I can hunt until I am a 100.

I love your age goal but maybe you could stretch that a bit?   :love5:  I am just a bit behind you at 68 so I am always thinking of ways to be more efficient.  My ebike has been great for that so far. My wife has the RAD and we really like it.  I bought a more robust one but think it is overkill for my use. 

sasquatch1

I think it would cause more issues than it helps if your not physically in need of it.

My style anyway, I hardly ever come out the same way I went in as I make a loop or what not

Therefore I'd have to back track to go get the bike most times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marc

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 01, 2023, 06:55:13 AM
I think it would cause more issues than it helps if your not physically in need of it.

My style anyway, I hardly ever come out the same way I went in as I make a loop or what not

Therefore I'd have to back track to go get the bike most times.

It would be a huge benefit to me...  Lots of places have one road in with no loop...  Be nice to cover ground quietly, as long as the thing can go uphill well.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Flatsnbay

Other than the legality in some places, are there any negatives with using an e bike in the woods for hunting?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

WV Ridge Reaper

I keep looking at them but just don't want to buy the wrong one...trying to buy once cry once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasonb53

only negatives i see is the weight of the bike loading an unloading, they are not light by any means and the range of the batteries. Hilly terrain will eat battery power faster. From a mountain biker perspective i would say get good suspension. I have ridden my wifes in the woods hunting a few time and it is completely pedal assist and its very nice from getting point A to point B

Flatsnbay

Anybody have pics of some tricked out hunting e bikes?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk