turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey decoys

Started by PhilTrinks, June 19, 2011, 07:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilTrinks

Have any of you used the new fully flocked turkey decoys. I have a pretty boy strutter that I'm thinking about flocking. Do you all think its worth it???

guesswho

Quote from: PhilTrinks on June 19, 2011, 07:58:35 PM
I have a pretty boy strutter that I'm thinking about flocking. Do you all think its worth it???

I wouldn't flock a pretty boy but thats just me. :turkey2:

I'm not much on deke's.  I think one is more trouble than its worth, but a lot of people like them and kill birds with them.  I could see where several could be effective.  I guess it all depends on what you want out of your hunts.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TauntoHawk

dekes are the same as calls, their used and how many/ how much needs to be gauged off the turkeys in each situation. ok, that probably didnt help much did it but honestly the aswer is sometimes they are good, sometimes not so good.

if you dont mind carrying them, try it especially if you sit large fields or have limited mobility (thats where flocking shines best)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Houndstooth Game Calls

Like them for fields but dont like them in the woods JMO.

gunnerj

The only thing a flocked strutter will do is hold a tom a few extra seconds in bow range. Don't bother if you are going to blow his head off.  :gobble: I use dekes in the field only. I don't need a bunch of extra stuff/bulk tky*dy*  if I'm in the woods. More times than not, turks can't see the dekes in the woods. The flocked dekes look cool, but the question is necessity.  :anim_25:

WildTigerTrout

I carry one decoy, a hen. I don't use it much as I hunt the woods not open fields. I try to set up so that when I first see the Gobbler he is already in range. Seems to work pretty well. :gobble:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

CallMaker

I use decoys in fields during early season when the birds are still grouped up.  I've tried them in the woods and never had anything come in on them except hens.   A Pretty Boy is probably fine a it is...I wouldn't spend the money to flock one.  That's just my opinion.
Steven