turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advice for a new pot call please.

Started by youngtrkyhntr97, June 19, 2011, 07:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngtrkyhntr97

Ive been working this whole summer and want to buy some nicer turkey calls than the cheapo's I have. I like the aluminum and crystal calls. I will probally get both.
Which would you choose; Woodhaven's crystal or aluminum vs. Hooks crystal or aluminum? Thanks :cowboy:

Devastator

ive never tried the woodhavens or the hooks crystal.i have the hooks slate,alum,and glass and they sound great!

Houndstooth Game Calls

Heres a you tube clip of a crystal call we make for you to listen to. I liked the cherry crystal classic by woodhaven thats what inspired me to start building pot calls.--Lyle

http://youtu.be/LduDGPMSLiQ

TarheelTurk

Guess you have a big decision here.... If you want a woodhaven or hooks thats fine w/ me , BUT its plenty of guys on here that will build you a CUSTOM call and like it was stated earlier back it up. Jus my 2cents
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

morgs

Just give them a call and have them play the calls for you , I know Scott will with hooks and I assume woodhaven will if you ask !

savduck

I suggest you keep saving and get yourself to an outdoor show and lay hands on one. Shows are starting up as we speak. there is a big GON show in macon Ga, there will be custom turkey call makers and vendors with turkey calls this month.

Both are good crystals, but you may like one better than the other.
Georgia Boy

chatterbox

Look up Andy Kaiser. He goes by gobblerstopper on here, and he makes a fine, fine call!
I have several, and really like the way they run!

ncturkey

Of the two companies I would choose the Hook's Crystal. But Hook's also has a Bronzed Glass Pot call that is good too.

Gobble Nole

I also would take a look at the Southland series of calls.  I have the yellowheart crystal limited edition and it does the trick.  I have also picked up a few calls from Lights Out and they are top notch.  I just got a gold anodized aluminum that does great, Wendell is really helpful and can help guide you through the tough decision making process of which call.  I also have a bronzed glass from Lights Out that is great, I am still deciding which I like better between the crystal and the bronzed glass.  With Lights Out calls you can look on Ebay as they are normally listed for sale or order directly from Wendell as he can customize the calls for you.   

pcgobbler

I have a padauk anozided alumimum from Wendell; Lights Out Calls.  It was the favorite call in my vest this year.  The birds responded to this call when other calls could not coax a gobble out of them. The Crystal Mistress from Halloran is bad to the bone also.  I have one I received as a gift after our season went out.  A buddy owed me some favors, and I liked his so he ordered me one.  Don't overlook Jim Ward at Warbird calls also, I am awaiting delivery on one of his slates as we speak.

letinmfly

For a crystal call get a GS-1 from Andy Kaiser.  You will not be disappointed.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

chatterbox

Quote from: letinmfly on June 22, 2011, 06:40:38 PM
For a crystal call get a GS-1 from Andy Kaiser.  You will not be disappointed.
:agreed:

youngtrkyhntr97

Thanks for the input.
I have pretty much decided between the Woodhaven or Hooks calls; I know there are some great call makers out there but Ive also seen some at Nationals and some that my dad or his friends have bought that were beautiful calls but sounded terrible.I havent heard a woodhaven that sounds bad and have heard great things about the Hooks calls here on og.