turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Loud or Soft Calling

Started by NCL, January 17, 2023, 11:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Loud, soft, or No call at all? I had a Old Gobbler a few years ago in late season that I chased for 4 days. He gobbled about 6 times during these 4 days. I never saw him, but twice I heard him drumming, and moving through the brush. It was late May, a few days before the season ended, the foliage was very thick. I was using VERY limited, soft , infrequent calling the first days. I sat in his areas for several hours from daybreak each day. Finally on the 5th day I decided to relocate on the opposite side of this thicker cover, closer to where he roosted, same area, but he had 2 different trees within 100 yards of each other. I got in an hour and a half before daylight and decided NO TURKEY calling at all. I had my wing-flapper, and a small branch at my side. He gobbled once at daybreak, I did not respond. He gobbled one more time, I waited. Just as light broke, I did a "wing beat, branch fly down". No call. I used the branch next to me and pulled it back and forth in the leaves like a "feeding" hen. Never heard another gobble, but an hour after daybreak, I heard drumming in the cover in front of me. Finally, the "tomato head" showed himself at 30 yards in strut through the brush. I picked my spot and "bang". He was a 3 year old or more, 22 pounds, thick beard and nice hooks. The moral here, no Turkey calling at all. Should have thought of this earlier, but now I'll never forget it. This guy must have had a bad experience coming in to a call, he was super cautious with all his moves....Probably one of my most memorable hunts for sure.
"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

Quote from: Tom007 on January 21, 2023, 09:35:50 AM
Loud, soft, or No call at all? I had a Old Gobbler a few years ago in late season that I chased for 4 days. He gobbled about 6 times during these 4 days. I never saw him, but twice I heard him drumming, and moving through the brush. It was late May, a few days before the season ended, the foliage was very thick. I was using VERY limited, soft , infrequent calling the first days. I sat in his areas for several hours from daybreak each day. Finally on the 5th day I decided to relocate on the opposite side of this thicker cover, closer to where he roosted, same area, but he had 2 different trees within 100 yards of each other. I got in an hour and a half before daylight and decided NO TURKEY calling at all. I had my wing-flapper, and a small branch at my side. He gobbled once at daybreak, I did not respond. He gobbled one more time, I waited. Just as light broke, I did a "wing beat, branch fly down". No call. I used the branch next to me and pulled it back and forth in the leaves like a "feeding" hen. Never heard another gobble, but an hour after daybreak, I heard drumming in the cover in front of me. Finally, the "tomato head" showed himself at 30 yards in strut through the brush. I picked my spot and "bang". He was a 3 year old or more, 22 pounds, thick beard and nice hooks. The moral here, no Turkey calling at all. Should have thought of this earlier, but now I'll never forget it. This guy must have had a bad experience coming in to a call, he was super cautious with all his moves....Probably one of my most memorable hunts for sure.

Great story, Tom, and kudos for 1) having the foresight to contemplate that particular strategy and implementing it, and 2) having the perseverance to stick with that bird for as long as you did.  The point is well taken and should definitely be acknowledged as a potential method of taking those old, stubborn gobblers that have seen it all in terms of calling.  I think that kind of situation is a long shot for success, but when it works, it must be totally satisfying.

In thinking about your hunt, my mind wanders to my (and mine only) philosophy on spring gobbler hunting.  Personally, I will probably never kill a gobbler like that because, quite honestly, I probably will never be in a situation where I will dedicate that much time to killing a specific gobbler like that.  I just won't dedicate that much time to a single bird that does not want to play the game the way I want it to be played.  Yes, I will readily admit that I would rather kill a dumb two or three-year-old that comes gobbling and strutting to my calls than kill one by any other method.  For me, the entire thrill of spring gobbler hunting is about having a conversation with a gobbler and the anticipation that, perhaps when all is said and done, we will end up meeting face to face while chatting about it through the entire process.  The ones that don't want to do that can just stay in the woods and perpetuate the species as far as I am concerned.  ...Just an aimless thought on my personal outlook on the matter, and I don't expect others to feel the same. 

Again, though, kudos to you for killing that bird by employing the tactic you did.  Others should take note for hunting those types of gobblers, for sure.   :icon_thumright:

Tom007

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 21, 2023, 11:01:43 AM

Great story, Tom, and kudos for 1) having the foresight to contemplate that particular strategy and implementing it, and 2) having the perseverance to stick with that bird for as long as you did.  The point is well taken and should definitely be acknowledged as a potential method of taking those old, stubborn gobblers that have seen it all in terms of calling.  I think that kind of situation is a long shot for success, but when it works, it must be totally satisfying.

In thinking about your hunt, my mind wanders to my (and mine only) philosophy on spring gobbler hunting.  Personally, I will probably never kill a gobbler like that because, quite honestly, I probably will never be in a situation where I will dedicate that much time to killing a specific gobbler like that.  I just won't dedicate that much time to a single bird that does not want to play the game the way I want it to be played.  Yes, I will readily admit that I would rather kill a dumb two or three-year-old that comes gobbling and strutting to my calls than kill one by any other method.  For me, the entire thrill of spring gobbler hunting is about having a conversation with a gobbler and the anticipation that, perhaps when all is said and done, we will end up meeting face to face while chatting about it through the entire process.  The ones that don't want to do that can just stay in the woods and perpetuate the species as far as I am concerned.  ...Just an aimless thought on my personal outlook on the matter, and I don't expect others to feel the same. 

Again, though, kudos to you for killing that bird by employing the tactic you did.  Others should take note for hunting those types of gobblers, for sure.   :icon_thumright:

I really do appreciate the kind words, especially from you my friend. Yes, I did get "hooked in" to sticking with him. What gave me restless nights during those days was the fact that I heard him drumming, moving in the leaves, but never saw him! This drove me crazy, I am sure he was within 50 yards, but I never saw him. I thought of walking over to where I heard the sounds to look for strut marks or sign, but did not to "booger" up the area. I didn't even try to walk out until an hour or so passed trying not to spook him. You are 1000 % right, a gobbling bird that plays our game and gobbles his way in are unmatched hunts for sure. I just had a "thorn in my side" with this guy that had to be removed...thanks so much for your accolades, it means a lot to me. Be safe, good luck this spring
"Solo hunter"

silvestris

I did a "wing beat, branch fly down".

One of the best calls one can make at flydown.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

Enjoyed the story and the hunt... Persistence paid off. It's about the challenge of trying to beat him in his own game ... Sometimes we are successful and sometimes not but we do love playing the game while hunting these gobblers and trying to outwit them..

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 21, 2023, 03:16:47 PM
Enjoyed the story and the hunt... Persistence paid off. It's about the challenge of trying to beat him in his own game ... Sometimes we are successful and sometimes not but we do love playing the game while hunting these gobblers and trying to outwit them..
Quote from: silvestris on January 21, 2023, 01:37:27 PM

I did a "wing beat, branch fly down".

One of the best calls one can make at flydown.

I really appreciate it friends. I do a lot of unorthodox things when dealing with these "Snotty Snoods". Believe me, I get my tail whipped plenty of times. The good thing is that my defeats have forced me to figure out and learn things that they don't expect. These little "forest secretes" have helped me win some battles against the toughest birds in my woods. That's why I love Turkey Hunting!. Greg, I haven't forgot about your "Bread Bag"Be safe.....
"Solo hunter"

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: trad bow on January 20, 2023, 07:18:56 AM
Heavy pressured public land turkeys I hunt, I have more success with soft calling and less calling. Loud calling does work for me opening week but even then I tend to start off with calling softly.
This heavy pressured National forest gobbler liked loud cutting, loud yelping, and fighting purrs. Shot him running to me at 30 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage

I say play the game however it makes you happy.