OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long do you boil your bones?

Started by kayl, April 26, 2023, 02:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayl

Making my daughter 2 wingbone calls from her first bird and I think I screwed up. I followed a youtube video and am pretty sure I over-boiled my bones. One of the "mouthpiece bones" is tan and semi-translucent. Anything I can do to save it and get it white or should I cut my losses and just build it?

EZ

I don't think you can over boil them. There have been all kinds of wives tales over the years that you dare some boil them at all......baloney.

Have you cut the ends off and cleaned out the marrow or are you just cooking off the meat?

The translucency is because of the grease. I usually degrease them by simmering in water, a little dawn and a little baking soda or washing powder.

After that, use 40 strength peroxide (from a beauty supply store) to simmer a little. That will make them white.

kayl

Meat and ligaments are off, ends are cut off, and marrow is cleaned out.

I don't think it's from grease, I simmered for about an hour or so in dish soap and borax, then maybe 30-45 in clean water. I then redid dish soap and borax and clean water again because I thought they still seemed greasy.

I'll have to get some peroxide tomorrow.

cassga

Quote from: kayl on April 26, 2023, 07:07:45 PM
Meat and ligaments are off, ends are cut off, and marrow is cleaned out.

I don't think it's from grease, I simmered for about an hour or so in dish soap and borax, then maybe 30-45 in clean water. I then redid dish soap and borax and clean water again because I thought they still seemed greasy.

I'll have to get some peroxide tomorrow.

If you cant find the high strength peroxide Tony referenced, you can also use regular peroxide. With the weaker stuff i usually let them soak for a day or two, and the whiten up pretty good.

Dtrkyman

I used the pressure cooker last time, cleans them up nice!  Generally they seem to have the coloration you are talking about until peroxide type solution cleans them up.

I cleaned bones from 4 birds at once and the color of the bones varies quite a bit from bird to bird for some reason.

kayl

I'll have to try the instant pot next time. How long did you do it for?

Dtrkyman

Maybe an hour, didn't time it but the meat and fat pretty much fell off.