OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drill and tap sbe 1

Started by Flatbottomarky, January 12, 2023, 03:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatbottomarky

I'm wanting to drill and tap my sbe1,  doing some looking around I noticed Rob Roberts site says they won't do them. A magnet will stick so it doesn't appear to be aluminum. Does anyone have any experience with tapping one of these guns. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Ridge Rooster

Had my SBE1 Drilled/Tapped at Rob Roberts probably 10years ago or so. Unsure why they don't do it now? Try Sumtoy

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Greg Massey

Another option is the meadow Creek optic mount ... awesome mount and great field of view ...

Ridge Rooster

You might even try Rose Action Sports here in Kentucky. I don't know for sure if he will Drill/Tap a Benelli but he does excellent work!

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Turkeyjak

Had mine done by local gunsmith serval years ago mounted a Aimpoint 7000SC on. Never had any problems with shooting Nitros 3".

the Ward

I don't know if it's true or not, but I have read some internet posts in the past that say the receivers on those
early guns are really hardened and difficult to drill.

Ranger

You've got what we call "Sumtoy" problems....send it to Sumtoy and be done with the guessing
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

WildTigerTrout

I had a saddle mount on my vintage 2002 SBE1 for years.  Decided to ditch it and have it drilled and tapped. Took it to my gunsmith who has many years experience and has D&T quite a few SBE 1's for turkey hunters. Had it done several years ago with no problems.  Remounted the Leupold/Gilmore LG35 red dot sight and that was that.  I shoot Hevi-Shot 3 1/2 " Magnum Blends 2 1/4 oz shot. Works great.  IMO I would take it to a good gunsmith and have it done.  Glad I did as I was really sick of that saddle mount. Good luck.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Tom007

Sum toy's done a bunch I'm sure.......reliable gunsmith for sure
"Solo hunter"

Flatbottomarky

Thanks for all the replies.

Flatbottomarky

Well I talked with a local gunsmith near me and he has done some sbe1's and says metal thickness is the issue especially with a pic rail because it's thinner towards the front. This makes sense to me because the groove down the center starts shallow and gets deeper towards the front.  I picked up a sumtoy mount from mpw and am going to try it. Mounted rearward with 2 holes in the thickest part I believe I will be good to go. The sumtoy mount looks very well made.

sixbird

Quote from: the Ward on January 14, 2023, 08:07:48 AM
I don't know if it's true or not, but I have read some internet posts in the past that say the receivers on those
early guns are really hardened and difficult to drill.
EXACTLY!
I have one and Roberts couldn't tap it.
Had to send it back to Benelli and they replaced the shroud that covers the chamber with a later, softer version. Then, it could be drilled and tapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 12, 2023, 09:57:07 AM
Another option is the meadow Creek optic mount ... awesome mount and great field of view ...

X2 here. This is a Burris FF4 with a Meadow Creek mount on an SBE 1. This is the over-under mount which allows it to be mounted more towards the receiver. I wear glasses for reading, so this set-up having the Red Dot a little further away actually gives me a perfectly clear sight picture. This is a good alternative to drilling and tapping.....
"Solo hunter"