News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

301 shooting low

Started by dah, January 11, 2023, 07:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dah

Hey guys ,
Would like your thoughts . Kids gave me  a Stevens 301 410 shotgun for Christmas . ( I love my kids ) . Bought some Federal TSS and shot at 30, 40 , 50 yards on A typical paper target with the turkey head . Only a few shot on paper at 50 , a few more at forty . a few more at 30 with 6 in the kill zone but could see some at bottom of target . Shot at a steel realtor sign and looked like maybe half hit the sign low left . Shooting the factory choke . 
  Bought some Browning number 9 Csst . Changed to a 12 inch paper target . 50 yard shot had two on paper . 30 yard not much better . 15 yards a few in the kill , a tight pattern low left and don't believe all the pattern on target .
   Changed to some lead Remington 6  load at 15 yards , more on target but low left .
  Really excited about the gun , three grandsons growing up and fits one now and we could hunt this year , want to be able to use the gun for multi purpose , rabbits , squirrel , varmints , etc .  Resisting the red dot or scope . Prefer to look down the barrel and want the Grand kids to learn looking down the barrel .
I see options as keep trying different brand shots , red dot , different choke , maybe adjustable rifle sight , again , want to use multi purpose . Thoughts ? Thanks.

ChesterCopperpot

Raising the comb on the gun and/or lowering the bead will raise the pattern. So long as you're not wingshooting, whether that be birds or rabbits or whatever, I'd say throw a red dot on it. Super kid friendly and allows perfect match of POA to POI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leadchunker

Did you remove the rail I did on mine and it shot low put the rail back on used it for a rear sight shoots accurate now I put hi viz fiber optic in place of factory bead

dah

I shot with the rail on and off , same result . So you are  saying the front bead would screw out ? Is there a rifle sight that could fit .  It is shooting 6-10 inches low , that's a lot to make up . THANKS TO ALL .

skimerhorn

My 301 and every other gun I use tss with has shot low like that with tss. I'm guessing weight of the shot? But I use a red dot on all mine

btodd00

my original plan when I bought a 301 was an ultralight turkey gun so I wanted to take the rail off and use it with bead, I had same result. I would've had to raise the comb so much that it was lighter to just put a red dot. I ordered a egw mount and put a mini reflex on mine

dah

Thanks all ,
   Just wondering , has anyone bought or own a 410 that can shoot TSS properly just looking down the barrel ? Seems most everyone is having to adapt to shooting TSS. When I shot the first time it shot lead not to bad out to thirty or little under . Good enough for close small game or a varmint . I fired two rounds of lead at 15 yards last time and they both were a little low , didn't shoot anymore as I want to restock ammo before getting to low . I did not notice this the first time but did not shoot at 15 yards .
  I am going to adapt the 301 and move on . I am just a simple old man who does things the old way and sleeps good at night . Don't understand why my flip phone gets laughed at , making a change there also . And I want my old TV remote back !  Retired last week , looking forward to it , adapting with that also .
  Sure am glad the good Lord is constant . Lords Blessing .

Leadchunker

Like I said in my previous post mine shot low when I took the rail off I put the rail back on use it for a rear site installed a Hi viz fiber-optic that's all I use I've killed several with it no problems

dah

Thanks Leadchunker
  I looked at the Hi viz optics . Would like to give it a try . Would appreciate knowing which optic/sight you used , I saw several , some out of stock . thanks .