turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your Best Value Turkey Call

Started by Zobo, January 11, 2023, 10:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

As I get older, and with the increased popularity of turkey hunting, I naturally am finding myself talking with a lot of younger hunters. They usually want to know what I think the "best" call is. I tell them I believe there is no best, It's like asking what's the best color.
   But I do believe in a great value. And value is something they should be looking for, especially on a limited budget. So what do you think is your best value call?  Consider  sound quality, design/craftsmanship and of course price. Any type of call.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

I just received this "Money Call" from SS. Beautiful bloodwood over chestnut with purpleheart end blocks. As you can see in the picture the main body of the call is a solid piece of chestnut and the ends add a design feature. This is way out of the park for just over $100. Sounds so good it's unreal. As my sons friend said " this money call is money!"

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

The best value call and the first ceramic pot I ever bought was Jim Shelley that i got back many many years ago, It's ceramic over glass in a cherry pot. It's some of the old darker ceramic and I paid like 35 dollars for the call... It goes with me on all hunting trips and has helped in killing several gobblers over the years.. All these years all I've had to do to condition the ceramic is rub it with a piece of Scotch - Brite pad and keep the striker tip clean..

Yoder409

Bought a Flextone Ol' Faithful mini-paddle on clearance at Rural King a few years back.  Paid $8.  Who can turn down an $8 box call ??

That call will ABSOLUTELY hunt !!!!!!!!!   All things considered...........it's probably the "best value" in the house. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 11, 2023, 07:41:07 PM
Bought a Flextone Ol' Faithful mini-paddle on clearance at Rural King a few years back.  Paid $8.  Who can turn down an $8 box call ??

That call will ABSOLUTELY hunt !!!!!!!!!   All things considered...........it's probably the "best value" in the house.

Considering I paid more than that fir two "coffees" at Starbucks for my daughter and my niece last weekend,  I'd say so!

RunNGunSC

Stowe pink ivory trumpet I got at Unicoi last year!

Zobo

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 11, 2023, 10:38:30 AM
The best value call and the first ceramic pot I ever bought was Jim Shelley that i got back many many years ago, It's ceramic over glass in a cherry pot. It's some of the old darker ceramic and I paid like 35 dollars for the call... It goes with me on all hunting trips

I have a more recently made slate by him that's excellent, it cost me less than most

Zobo

Quote from: RunNGunSC on January 12, 2023, 09:10:13 AM
Stowe pink ivory trumpet I got at Unicoi last year!

Definitely! No matter what you paid that was a great buy, loved that guy

btomlin

Excluding my 25yr old(maybe more) Lil Dueces in glass and slate, I'd have to say it is my bloodwood over cedar from Spring Creek.  It well exceeded my expectation for the $60 I spent.

Ranger

$25 Lonnie Mabry Walnut slate with wood soundboard and 2 strikers. Came with handmade craftsmanship, is full of hen turkey talk, also came with several hours of verbal instruction and comparisons, the 'store' even had a house my wife would sit and wait in and an amazing and hospitable southern lady for her to talk to.  Got to pick the call and strikers I preferred, not what was boxed for me, and the call is now proven from March to May and coast to coast.  Not a better value in my case
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Ranger on January 12, 2023, 09:43:27 AM
$25 Lonnie Mabry Walnut slate with wood soundboard and 2 strikers. Came with handmade craftsmanship, is full of hen turkey talk, also came with several hours of verbal instruction and comparisons, the 'store' even had a house my wife would sit and wait in and an amazing and hospitable southern lady for her to talk to.  Got to pick the call and strikers I preferred, not what was boxed for me, and the call is now proven from March to May and coast to coast.  Not a better value in my case

Don't you wish that all shopping was like when you go shopping at the Mabry's? I have spoken to both Mr. and Mrs. Mabry in the last month and they are first class folks.

Back to the question at hand. First, let me say that is an awesome money box that you just picked up. Hard to beat SS calls for quality and sound.

That said, I would agree with Ranger and Greg. Mr. Lonnie's pots (now they are 30.00) just cannot be beat for the money. As far as Dr. Shelley, you just cannot beat his eastern assasin or his purpleheart over walnut short boxes for 30.00. In all seriousness, I have three of them and they sound as good as the boxes that I have that cost seven times as much. Those boxes are a hair shorter than a regular short box, but still have a larger box sound and you can also get soft on them with ease. And like Mr. Lonnie, Dr. Jim Shelley is a joy to do business with. Both men are very honest and give you way more than your money's worth.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Tom007

Mine would be my Primos Battleship. Got this one used, great price. This call is great in the wind, calls soft and loud. They were on the cheaper side when they were new, now that they are longer made, the prices have gone up substantially. Great value, easy to use call. I wish I would have bought several years ago.....
"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

Quote from: btomlin on January 12, 2023, 09:32:00 AM
Excluding my 25yr old(maybe more) Lil Dueces in glass and slate, I'd have to say it is my bloodwood over cedar from Spring Creek.  It well exceeded my expectation for the $60 I spent.

:agreed:

Mike makes an excellent box call that's for sure!

For me, found a Quaker Boy aluminator on the clearance table marked down to $5.00

That call will pull gobbles out of the quietest birds, light weight, and easy to run and condition.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Beards and Hooks

My best value calls are my Spring creek box calls and all of my Lonnie Mabry calls and I have a few! The above calls are full of turkey and Lonnie Mabry is worth the visit even if you don't buy anything!

Zobo

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on January 15, 2023, 10:17:26 PM
My best value calls are my Spring creek box calls and all of my Lonnie Mabry calls and I have a few! The above calls are full of turkey and Lonnie Mabry is worth the visit even if you don't buy anything!

I haven't got any calls from these two gentlemen but I've heard so many great things about them and their calls. No doubt those calls can sing!