OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's that popping sound?

Started by Brillo, January 02, 2023, 10:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

I think it is made with a mouth call.  Not a cluck but maybe a variation of a cluck.  I have not heard a turkey make it but I haven't been around a lot of turkeys in their natural setting.  I have not been able to duplicate it.
Any thoughts?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Brillo on January 02, 2023, 10:18:24 PM
I think it is made with a mouth call.  Not a cluck but maybe a variation of a cluck.  I have not heard a turkey make it but I haven't been around a lot of turkeys in their natural setting.  I have not been able to duplicate it.
Any thoughts?
Putt?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Brillo

I don't think it is a putt.  I have heard that Dave on the turkey videos do it while he is walking.  Uses it like a cover or  soft locator.

GobbleNut

What you are referring to is what has most recently been named by some imaginative hunter as the "bubble cluck".  Others may have a differing opinion as to when you might hear it from a turkey, but in my experience, I have mostly heard it from turkeys that are approaching my calling and reach a point where they think they should be able to see the turkey (me) that is calling to them.  Invariably, they will start making that hollow-sounding cluck.  (It has been described as what a drop of water sounds like when it falls into another pool of water).

My interpretation,...again, based on my personal experience,...is that the turkey that makes this cluck is looking for a similar response cluck in return.  Being able to respond with a similar sound will often make them continue to look for the source.  Conversely, a lack of response to a turkey in these situations will, at some point, start to concern the bird,...and it will gradually start showing that concern by clucking more and more excitedly, until it reaches a point where that "where are you?" cluck graduates into "something-ain't-right-here alarm putting". 

In my opinion, the best tool for reproducing this sound is a mouth call, but for many hunters in these tight situations where a turkey is close, an accurate reproduction of that cluck is often hard to put forth.  There is something about the excitement of a close gobbler, in combination with the associated dry mouth, that always makes me question whether my consoling bubble cluck is going to sound like a... "Mr. gobbler, you better get the heck out of dodge as fast as you can" squawk of some sort.   :D
:newmascot:

Soft Talker

Along with splashing water and scratching leaves, it is one of the deadliest sounds one can make in the turkey woods.

GunRunner

Pinhoti Dave does it effortlessly. 

I just can not do it.
I have spent countless hours trying to make that 'water bubble' cluck.
I will never attempt it in the woods.
I have enough trouble getting birds in front of me...sure do not need to be running them off trying to sound like Dave.

GunRunner
:TrainWreck1:

Gobbler428

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 03, 2023, 10:27:45 AM
What you are referring to is what has most recently been named by some imaginative hunter as the "bubble cluck".  Others may have a differing opinion as to when you might hear it from a turkey, but in my experience, I have mostly heard it from turkeys that are approaching my calling and reach a point where they think they should be able to see the turkey (me) that is calling to them.  Invariably, they will start making that hollow-sounding cluck.  (It has been described as what a drop of water sounds like when it falls into another pool of water).

My interpretation,...again, based on my personal experience,...is that the turkey that makes this cluck is looking for a similar response cluck in return.  Being able to respond with a similar sound will often make them continue to look for the source.  Conversely, a lack of response to a turkey in these situations will, at some point, start to concern the bird,...and it will gradually start showing that concern by clucking more and more excitedly, until it reaches a point where that "where are you?" cluck graduates into "something-ain't-right-here alarm putting". 

In my opinion, the best tool for reproducing this sound is a mouth call, but for many hunters in these tight situations where a turkey is close, an accurate reproduction of that cluck is often hard to put forth.  There is something about the excitement of a close gobbler, in combination with the associated dry mouth, that always makes me question whether my consoling bubble cluck is going to sound like a... "Mr. gobbler, you better get the heck out of dodge as fast as you can" squawk of some sort.   :D

X2 I've heard this on several occasions when gobblers got close and basically think when a gobbler is doing this he is saying " here I am, where are you"

Uncle Tom

Dave has it down pat.....he uses it all the time and he kills birds all the time. He is a killing machine and one can listen to him and take it to the bank.

Greg Massey

I agree with GobbleNut .... bubble cluck... somewhat a gurgling sound.... If you listen to Zach Farmer on his Youtube videos playing his trumpets he talks about this unusual sound and he does this sound with his trumpet rasp playing ...

TrackeySauresRex

Yes GN had a good response here.

I'm no expert and strictly a novice. If you're not that proficient with your mouth call, keep you clucks as soft as possible. Especially if you think he's closed the distance. If he's  coming and yer all jacked up you don't want to be sending out that accidental PUT. Keep practicing and good luck.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 03, 2023, 10:27:45 AM

Good stuff here...

Had a bird do it last week.  My impression, is that it is a nervous call.  I do not think you have to "bubble-cluck" back though.  Any quiet contented turkey sound seems to work (most times) for me if the terrain is broken up enough.  I purred and it worked.  I have made quiet yelps or clucks for success as well.

No call (including the bubble-cluck) has worked for me if I am in terrain that is too open.  If that bird should see a hen that is not there, they get nervous.

If I am in a more open area, and can do it on an approaching bird, I might get behind the tree (instead of in front)...  Hoping that I will sound like a hen behind the tree, and get that bird to come a few more inquisitive steps forward.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mikejd

My wife actually came to nashville with me this year and she was pretty impressed with the calling competition
She looked at me at one point and said he sounds like he is making rain drops. I never heard of it called the bubble cluck but that is exactly it. I can make the call sometimes but am usually to afraid to give it a go when birds are around.

Meleagris gallopavo

I use a diaphragm often and have difficulty with the bubble cluck.  The closest I get to it is the clucking sound of cluck and purr.  I've seen people do it effortlessly myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sir-diealot

I have tried to find this sound on Youtube but can't seem to find it. I have never heard it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 01, 2023, 11:09:57 AM
I have tried to find this sound on Youtube but can't seem to find it. I have never heard it.
It was a popular topic on the forums a season or two ago...

I associate it with a wooded area and decreased visibility.  It is a "popping" sound made that (I think) is when a tom should see that hen but does not.  I have often heard it evolve into a "putt," when he does not see that hen that should be there.

Birds are usually somewhat close when I hear it...  Unfortunately "almost" in range is generally the rule for me.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.