OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gaiters

Started by 10gaugemag, December 11, 2022, 12:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gaugemag

Does anyone wear a gaiter over their pants when they wear a lace up style boot?

If so what brands/models have you had good luck with?

PALongspur

Yes, wear them nearly every day I'm hunting. Spring and fall both. I've had good luck with the ones from Kenetrek.

Sir-diealot

I'm planning to get a pair of the Kenetrek, Mennonite I drive swears by them and he's always walking through Fields between deer, turkey, coyote hunting, trapping and what have you.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

aclawrence

I wear gaiters all the time. I have some OR expedition crocodile gaiters, turtle skin snake gaiters and I just ordered a pair of Kenetreks off of camo fire for pretty cheap a few days ago. I had Glenda green customize my turtle skins. They protect your pants and legs, keep water and crap out of your boots and keep your pants dry. I think they help keep my legs warmer to when it's colder outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Never leave home without a pair of gaiters. Tired of wet cargo pants walking through dew-soaked tall grass which wicks down your socks in short order. Little worse than having wet socks.

Some zip, others velcro. I own and use both Sitka Thunderhead (zipper) and Kenetrek (velcro) gaiters, and for ease of adjusting I prefer the Kenetreks.

The Sitka Thunderhead gaiters are great, comfy, and once adjusted easy on/off with the zipper, but just a little tougher to adjust the under heel strap, compared to the external buckle on Kenetrek.

I spray my gaiters with Sawyers inside and out, so another tick barrier to wear afield is a plus.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

vt35mag

Kenetreks all the time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mcw3734

I've been wearing Kenetrek gaiters for years, hunting and hiking. I wear lightweight, ankle-high hiking boots and they do a great job of keeping me dry from the morning dew and even quick-stepping through a shallow creek.

Used to have a pair from REI(?). Effective, but they were nylon and noisy. Haven't tried any other brands, so there might be something better out there. Either way, gaiters have always been a must have for me.

BBR12

I have been wearing turtle skins for probably a dozen years. Keep pants dry, snake proof, and very light weight. I do a couple mods on mine to make them fit better but love them.

spiggy2

I have used the Kenetrek gaiters but now use the Kings Camo XKG. They fit better than the Kenetrek ones and are more comfortable. Really happy with them

"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Dtrkyman

KUIU any time it is damp or brushy enough that junk winds up in my boots!

J-Shaped

Turtle skins when in snake country, and Kennetreks any other time.

RLAG

J-shaped, what's the reason you don't use turtle skins normally? Do the kenetreks wear better/more comfortable?

J-Shaped

Quote from: RLAG on December 21, 2022, 08:45:51 PM
J-shaped, what's the reason you don't use turtle skins normally? Do the kenetreks wear better/more comfortable?

I find the Kennetreks more comfortable, as the material is lighter and not as stiff. I also like how they attach better, both at the top and to the boot. That said, they aren't snake proof if that matters. As others have done, I've made some modifications to my Turtle Skins to help them stay attached to my boots and not slide up.

I've had the Turtle Skins for about 5 years now and they look brand new despite pretty heavy usage. I haven't had the Kennetreks as long but put them through the motions on a mule deer hunt last month with a fair amount of snow and terrain and they kept me dry, never slipped, and kept debris out of my boots as they are designed to do.

RLAG

Great info. Mind sharing the mods you've done? I'll be headed to South Florida for a quota tag and I've been debating about picking up a pair of turtle skins. Figured $200 is cheaper than 10 grand for antivenom

aclawrence

I'll post some pics of my turtle skins.  I need to take some better pics. I hated the zipper on my turtle skins so I did away with them and have Velcro on them now. If I was going to buy a pair with this mod in mind I would definitely get the x large pair because you lose a little bit of fabric with the Velcro mod.  I also had Glenda sew some bottomland material to them while she had them.
and shorten them for me since my legs are short lol.