OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet help needed

Started by windywhitetails, November 30, 2022, 11:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windywhitetails

I have been using an old penns woods tom turpin trumpet the last few seasons with good success. I am looking to get a hand built one that has been tuned, can someone point me in the right direction? It will be used for hunting only so looks are not important just something that sounds good and is reasonably priced. Thanks 

Sir-diealot

Several members here make them, I have two from gregg aka Gwaltney Calls I am sure he will chime in here, Anthony at AGE Turkey Trumpets though I can't recall his name here makes a good one, off site Ted "Pete" Peters is another, also if in line for a yelper as well Tony Ezlot aka EZ makes a great one everyone I know that has one swears by them including myself. I am still pretty new at it but I am sure others will give you some names as well.

Link to Greg Gwaltney  here. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?action=profile;u=20995
Bob Buckner also a member here http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3114
fordhunt I intend to get a jordan from him eventually. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?action=profile;u=5880
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

davisd9

Brian Mero, he is on here but not sure his username.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sir-diealot

I would also go to the trumpet section, you can see many different makers models there and that may help you choose. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/board,203.0.html
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ranger

Brian Mero and Lee Chadwick(Misfire Calls) make great hunting calls at a quality and a price that are perfect for what you're looking for.  Some other makers have longer lists and/or higher prices but those gentlemen have been responsible for a lot of turkeys dying. Misfire calls also have a reputation for being very easy to use for beginners and are exceptional quality as well.

Greg as mentioned makes fine calls as well, as several other members do too.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

turkey stew

All the call makers mentioned make excellent trumpets. I would add Dave Shoemaker ( Shoebuck) to the list.

Terry

Quote from: Ranger on November 30, 2022, 04:30:06 PM
Brian Mero and Lee Chadwick(Misfire Calls) make great hunting calls at a quality and a price that are perfect for what you're looking for.  Some other makers have longer lists and/or higher prices but those gentlemen have been responsible for a lot of turkeys dying. Misfire calls also have a reputation for being very easy to use for beginners and are exceptional quality as well.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Reach out to Seth Hamon and get you one of the finest crafted trumpets for the price there is. Not as cheap as some other guys that also make exceptional calls, but the craftsmanship and quality at his price is unmatched.

PalmettoRon

Anthony Ellis makes an easy trumpet to play. I think it's AGE calls?

I'm not a great trumpet caller, but his are easy to run.

mmclain

Meleagris gallopavo

I like all my trumpets!  As has been said before, a lot depends on how long you want to wait. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

davisd9

Quote from: Ranger on November 30, 2022, 04:30:06 PM

Great advice here. Always stop by Mr. Lee's table at Unicoi and they seem to get better each year and they were really good to begin with.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Zobo

A Ralph Permar 1930 is another good option, maybe a little more than you want to spend but a great value nevertheless.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Adam0988

Daryl Slaton makes a great call. Nice guy to talk with as well.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Zobo on December 10, 2022, 09:53:57 PM
  A Ralph Permar 1930 is another good option, maybe a little more than you want to spend but a great value nevertheless.
Tell me about the 1930 model.  I have a .45 and his improved Jordan. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.