OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Unusual Ammo finds

Started by owlhoot, November 29, 2022, 09:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Quote from: lunghit on December 15, 2022, 08:06:23 PM
Last year I found about 500 rounds of IMI 5.56 in my gun safe that I bought in 2011 and totally forgot about. Does that count as an ammo find lol?
I would imagine it does. Kind of like finding a 100 dollar bill in a old jacket pocket, it will still spend.

Cut N Run

I got a Pre '64 Winchester Model 94 in .30-30`from a friend that was still in the original box with half a box of Winchester Silver Tip ammo in the box with the gun. No price indicated on the ammo & the sticker on the rifle box is in code the store used, so I have no idea of cost.  Serial number indicates the rifle was made in 1959.  Those 10 rounds were probably the only shots taken from that gun.  Don't have the gun & ammo where I'm at right now, so these are the only pics I can access.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

owlhoot

That Winchester is sure a nice one. great keepsake.

owlhoot

Kind of unusual find I guess?  Found 2 boxes 12 gauge 3" Hevi- Triple beards. 1 3/4 oz. of 5,6,7's .
Lead shot . Box is neat. Do not think they have been made for a while? Think I shot some in 20 gauge a while back.

Sungrazer

Just found some Winchester 2 3/4" 12ga. Magnum supreme Turkey loads at a pawn shop Thursday. Did a lot of driving searching for 3" 20ga. Lead loads. I did find some Winchester XX high velocity that I didn't have. Now I have 1 box of everything currently made for patterning next week, except Remington, haven't seen 3" Remington 20ga. anywhere.

owlhoot

Walmart has been carrying quite a few 20 around these parts anyway.

RED NECK

Iv'e never in my life seen a single box of Federal Heavyweight turkey shells up around here,or anywhere for sale in Canada but I came across a brick of 20 gauge Federal heavyweight #6's and half a brick of 12 gauge 3" #6's, I bought them, I wish they were 7's but I like the idea of having them, even If I don't use them.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

krm944

Interesting topic as my 9 year old and I were having a Turkey ammo discussion moments ago.

When did the first "Turkey Ammo" hit the market?

I am only 45, but as a teen, I remember Turkey loads being High Brass 3" 6 shot. The hardware store had "low brass" or  "high brass". I could buy them on "credit" or "charge them"  and pay for them later myself or dad would settle the tab.

owlhoot

I believe mid to late 80's. Turkey loads started.

krm944

Quote from: owlhoot on March 11, 2023, 07:13:41 PM

Thank you. I don't recall seeing them until late 90s, but I admit it wasn't something I would be looking for.

Remington700

Bought a shotgun a few years back and the guy said he had a few boxes of shells he would give me. Ended up being about 2 cases of Winchester supreme 12 gauge 3.5 #5's.

owlhoot

Quote from: krm944 on March 11, 2023, 08:27:40 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on March 11, 2023, 07:13:41 PM

Thank you. I don't recall seeing them until late 90s, but I admit it wasn't something I would be looking for.
A little FYI which many be interesting is that Remington express turkey guns with a 21" barrel came out in 91,
I ordered 1 immediately lol.

owlhoot

Quote from: Remington700 on March 11, 2023, 08:34:45 PM
Bought a shotgun a few years back and the guy said he had a few boxes of shells he would give me. Ended up being about 2 cases of Winchester supreme 12 gauge 3.5 #5's.
Sounds like a heck of a deal.

runngun

"Turkey loads" specific came out at least 1988, because that's when Mossberg came out with the 835 with Winchester making 3.5 shells.  Same time there was the duplex loads in the 10 round boxes.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

owlhoot

Quote from: runngun on March 12, 2023, 08:21:11 PM
"Turkey loads" specific came out at least 1988, because that's when Mossberg came out with the 835 with Winchester making 3.5 shells.  Same time there was the duplex loads in the 10 round boxes.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I thought federal came out with the first 3 1/2" loads ?