OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3 turkey's one shot

Started by gobblerfreak, June 17, 2011, 01:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

Quote from: guesswho on June 21, 2011, 07:14:20 PM
Quote from: Shotgun on June 21, 2011, 07:08:22 PM
It's the last hour of your 1 day hunt and the oppurtunity to kill all 3 presents itself.  What do you do?  Shoot one and be happy or kill as many as possible.
One for me.  I've killed three in one day on a couple of occasions but hours apart.  I've also killed one in Georgia and one in Alabama the same day several times, but I'm not pulling the trigger with three in my sights.  Just don't feel right to me. 

;D  How about if you shoot 1 and another fly's out of sight 80 yards away and when you hit your call he gobbles. 20 minutes later he pops his head up 20 yards away.  Do you kill him?  Remember this is the only day you have to hunt and now your down to the last 30 min.

GobbleNut

"How about if you shoot 1 and another fly's out of sight 80 yards away and when you hit your call he gobbles. 20 minutes later he pops his head up 20 yards away.  Do you kill him?  Remember this is the only day you have to hunt and now your down to the last 30 min."

I see nothing at all improper about killing the second bird in this situation, especially if it's at the end of a hunt and you really want to shoot that bird.

I guess the real problem I have with the three-birds-with-one-shot thing, other than IMO it generally makes hunters look like indiscriminate game hogs, is the uncertainty of wounding one or more of the birds and having them get away.  There's no way that the guy that pulled the trigger knew he would cleanly kill all three of those birds, and therefore, he should never have pulled the trigger in that situation.  He made the conscious decision to pull the trigger and risk having wounded birds escape.  I find that distasteful, as well as irresponsible.

trkehunr93

Quote from: Shotgun on June 20, 2011, 09:58:16 PM
Ya'll are just jealous and wish you could shoot 3 turkeys in one shot.  Why do you feel the need to criticize someone that made a heck of a shot?

To each his own.  I have been to TX where this is legal and hunted with an outfitter and had opportunities to do the same thing but for me I like the anticipation and wondering, hoping, wanting for a gobbler to step away from the group for a clean shot.  If it doesn't happen then they have lived to be hunted another day.  When I was younger I would have done it in a heartbeat but not now, funny how time changes your thinking.  My 2 cents!

;D

jperrotti

If I killed 3 in one shot and it was legal. There would be some major whooping and hollering and chest pounding. Sorry I would be stoked!! Call me a game hog. I'll take it as a compliment.

It would be a story and hunt never forgotten.
Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag .660 JH Nitro 2-1/4 oz. Straight 7's Burris FastFire II

guesswho

Quote from: Shotgun on June 21, 2011, 11:25:07 PM
;D  How about if you shoot 1 and another fly's out of sight 80 yards away and when you hit your call he gobbles. 20 minutes later he pops his head up 20 yards away.  Do you kill him?  Remember this is the only day you have to hunt and now your down to the last 30 min.
Nope, still the same hunt to me.  I can see where a lot of folks would fall into this category though.  I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just doesn't seem like the right thing for me to do personally. 

I'd have to move to another part of the property and try to find another bird.  If it's a small piece of property I'd go clean bird number one then come back for hunt number two.  Birds two and three would be fair game then.  But if I had another day to go they would be safe for the rest of the day.

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 22, 2011, 08:58:23 AMI guess the real problem I have with the three-birds-with-one-shot thing, other than IMO it generally makes hunters look like indiscriminate game hogs, is the uncertainty of wounding one or more of the birds and having them get away.  There's no way that the guy that pulled the trigger knew he would cleanly kill all three of those birds, and therefore, he should never have pulled the trigger in that situation.  He made the conscious decision to pull the trigger and risk having wounded birds escape.  I find that distasteful, as well as irresponsible.
A very good point, I'm surprised this hasn' been mentioned yet.  You must have learned that in one of those N"WTF" books or something.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

"A very good point, I'm surprised this hasn' been mentioned yet.  You must have learned that in one of those N"WTF" books or something."

And here you thought that all the NWTF did was provide you lots of places to hunt...
;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D

Basser69

[/quote]

[/quote]

At this point of the game I take him out

guesswho

Quote from:  link=topic=11052.msg128195#msg128195 date=1308760058
But you've only got 30 minutes on the last day.... so you'd either have to pull the trigger or come back next year.

I'd take bird #1 to the house and tell #2 and 3 three thanks, see ya'll next year.

I love killing them as much as the next guy, maybe more.  But I have to feel I earned him, and in that situation I'd feel like I already had my reward for my efforts in bird #1.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with killing #2, but under those circumstances it isn't for me.

I've killed three in one day, but they were a couple of hours apart and at a different part of the property or totally different property.  
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 22, 2011, 11:46:21 AM
And here you thought that all the NWTF did was provide you lots of places to hunt...
;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D
And lots of turkeys to hunt.  Without the N"WTF" there wouldn't be any turkeys anywhere, at least thats what I've been told.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

Quote from: TRKYHTR on June 21, 2011, 07:28:46 PM
...To each his own if it is legal where you hunt. If I only had 1 day to hunt and 3 tags in my pocket and it was legal to kill 3 with 1 shot. They are in trouble. JMO...

Same here.  I'd be more than happy to reap the benefits of the NWTF's efforts.   :D

GobbleNut

Quote from: GobbleNut on Today at 11:46:21 AM
And here you thought that all the NWTF did was provide you lots of places to hunt..

"And lots of turkeys to hunt.  Without the N"WTF" there wouldn't be any turkeys anywhere, at least thats what I've been told."

It's good to see that you're starting to come around, Ronnie.  There's hope for you yet, my friend.   ;D

"Same here.  I'd be more than happy to reap the benefits of the NWTF's efforts."---Stinkpickle

....And you too, Stinker!   :D

guesswho

I changed my mind.  I'm shooting all three gobblers, plus any jakes, hens, chickens, decoys, deer, ect.   I might be able to get my whole season done in one setting.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Shotgun

It's interesting to hear everyones comments on this subject and how certain senarios change ones thoughts (except Ronnie, but I expected that  ).  Bye the way I was just stirring the pot earlier with the whole jealous thing. That's why I had the smilie at the bottom of the post.

My thoughts on this subject changes myself under different scenarios.  Now days  If I have plenty of time to hunt I would only shoot one and then go on to find another.  In my younger years i shot doubles several times without hesitation, but always passed on triples mainly because the states I was hunting didn't allow it so it wasn't an option.  Honestly I couldn't imagine toting 3 out at one time (2 is a load).  Even with all that said my goal is to kill my limit in which ever state I'm hunting.  So when I'm down to the last hunt or my wife is telling me to come home and a chace to kill 2 presents itself and it's leagal I'll make the kill.