News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

killing jakes

Started by outlaw, June 16, 2011, 01:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbrhuntr

Jealous ?
Oh and by the way its legal to shoot birds off the roost where I hunt. Should I? After all if its legal its okay right?

Hognutz

Quote from: saint on June 17, 2011, 12:30:19 PM
outlaw came in and  said  they wont let him login anymore thats not right

Are you for real? What kind of game are you playin'?  ???
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

guesswho

Quote from: 2ounce6s on June 17, 2011, 04:44:19 PM
GobbD,
You don' et many tuckees do ya? Them ol' ones is stringy. :TooFunny:

vaturkey,
Thanks friend.
Stringy?  He must be using that fish hook method.  I guess you could release the Jakes that way.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Hognutz

You're killin' me, GobblerD.  :TooFunny: I am a charter member of Jakes-or-Nothin'.com. My name there is ''Three Long Feathers/Beard optional''..I guess I won't be recruiting you, any time soon..Keep up the good work..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Jay

Probably because of the size of our birds in the midwest, you cannot tell the difference in Gobbles between many Jakes and Toms. I had 4 Gobblers walk by me towards my son's calling booming Gobble after Gobble. It was defeaning at 20 yards away. Count on the group was 2 Jakes and 2 Toms, and absolutely no difference in sound from one to another.  ;D They left minus one Tom.

Jay

I thought you were the same guys. You both had a unique way of not using punctuation. Curious why you felt you needed to be 2 people on here. Split personality?

chatterbox

Quote from: Jay on June 17, 2011, 06:20:24 PM
I thought you were the same guys. You both had a unique way of not using punctuation. Curious why you felt you needed to be 2 people on here. Split personality?
No lifeguard on duty in the gene pool on the day "they" were concieved!

guesswho

Quote from: chatterbox on June 17, 2011, 06:30:41 PM
Whats scary is that out of that pool they were the fastest swimmers. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on June 17, 2011, 06:34:20 PM
Quote from: chatterbox on June 17, 2011, 06:30:41 PM
Whats scary is that out of that pool they were the fastest swimmers. 
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

ncmountainfella

The whole issue of to shoot or not shoot should not even be brought up. Wildlife agencies set an amount of gobblers to be harvested each year, with up to 30 percent of the gobblers being harvested in a state an acceptable percentage. Usually it is not limited to longbeards but a bearded bird is all that is required of the hunter. Therefore Wildlife agencies don't distinguish which so why should we. I trap, do you? I don't bear hunt, do you? I don't chase sauger in the spring, do you? We should encourage each other in the sport or sports we love! Leave those arguments to anti hunters, we dont need to disagree over absurd stuff. I haved killed jakes, but I target longbeards and pass many jakes. I like the challenge, but thats just me. If your tags say you can kill a jake, thats your business, tag out on them each year if you want, just get out there and hunt. Some people think its wrong because they think they are the next Michael Wadell. If you kill a jake off the property you hunt, you might have taken a longbeard for yourself to hunt the next year, maybe, or a coyote might get him before then too. Follow the laws and kill what you want.

Gobble!

Quote from: timbrhuntr on June 17, 2011, 03:45:16 PM
Jealous ?
Oh and by the way its legal to shoot birds off the roost where I hunt. Should I? After all if its legal its okay right?

Jealous lmao
What are you a little school girl? He makes a great point. Let me say I don't shoot jakes but I would never tell someone they shouldn't. You guys are forgetting what makes turkey hunting better then deer hunting. Its that bird gobbling in your face at 30 yards. So what if the guy wants to shoot the Jake? You don't have to hunt with him. Truth is I don't even like shooting a 2 year old but theres no way to tell unless he's at 5 yards. Look at it like this a Jake is a spike and 2 year old is a 80" 6 point. Most would let him walk so why not let the 2 year olds walk?

HogBiologist

Quote from: timbrhuntr on June 16, 2011, 07:09:47 PM
I suppose all you jake killers wouldn't be opposed to whacking a few baldies either  ::) .

If you mean does, heck yes.  I put 6 in my freezer last year.  In fact the next publication I have to put together for LDWF is about why you need to kill does to improve the deer herd.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

HogBiologist

Quote from: FeatheredHat on June 17, 2011, 01:20:45 PM
Quote from: LaBiologist on June 16, 2011, 06:12:42 PM
I could care less what anyone on here thinks (good or bad), I will kill a jake if legal.  I think a 6 month old deer is very tender and tasty.  I will kill what i please, that is legal, and to me it will be a trophy.  Trophy hunters to me are what is wrong with this sport!

If it is your property and you say no jakes, I will oblige.  On my property or public property..... Gobble like a man, Die like a man.

Just a quick point of clarity for the "biologist"?  Jakes do not gobble like men.  Although I'll agree that occasionally I've called in and walked a Jake that sounded like a gobbler, the majority of them have a distinct and very identifiable gobble.  So again, it does not sound like a man.  In fact, it sounds like an idiot.  

I'll take that as the jake sounds like an idiot.  Personally I have yet to be able to tell the difference in a jake or mature gobble.  I have killed both.  There were times when I thought it was a jake, but turned out to be a big boy.  Others I thought were big uns, but were jakes.  Now if the idiot comment was directed at me.........well dems fightin words.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Old Gobbler

Alright guys time to move on here  - Cabin Fever season is upon us and we would like for folks to observe the "Be Nice" rule

- The person who started the topic , had 2 bogus accounts plus tried to register another 3rd {bounced} 

Lets move on -

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon