turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mexico?

Started by Up Hill, May 02, 2024, 08:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up Hill

Ok guys, you know where I'm going with this. I thought I'd put it to people who know more than me on it. My son and I are considering changing goulds or oscelated next. A well know hunting consultant said he sends hunters into mexico every year and has for 30 years without a single incident.  But...the travel advisory council lists, as least Sonora, under  reconsider. Campeche seems to be the least. I'm all for an adventure as much as the next guy but no animal on the planet is worth risking lives or kidnapping ect. Just thought I'd see what the general consensus is.

Paulmyr

It would be my guess as a hunter you are not a very good target of opportunity because you have the ability to shoot back as do your outfitters. 
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

GobbleNut

Like everywhere else on the planet, we only hear the horror stories...no matter how low the odds are of something happening. Such is the case with venturing into Mexico to turkey hunt.  The likelihood of anything happening in doing so is almost zero, but in the back of our minds, each of us is thinking,.."what if I am the one?". 

I have gone down there several times, although not recently, and the only issues I/we had were not being able to speak the language and the inherent problems associated with that. Most of those trips were DIY where we did not go through an outfitter...just knew some people such that we were able to arrange the trips/hunts ourselves.  We never had a single problem...other than that nervousness associated with going somewhere totally unfamiliar to any of us.

In your case, going through a reliable outfitter should alleviate any concerns you might have. If you really want to go hunt Goulds or Ocellated turkeys...and are willing to pay the price for it...you should do it without a second thought.  :icon_thumright: 

Up Hill

I appreciate the advice.  You were spot on about New Mexico.

Swampmonkey

Went down there last spring with absolutely no issues. Hunted chihuahua and it was listed under reconsider as well. Met some of the friendliest people and had a blast. The only people who find trouble down there are those looking for it. Feel free to PM me if you want any information on outfitter.

hpo

I would have no concerns. When it's time, it's time. Chase the fun.

I would say that I've lived in some serious shitholes over the years. But that's my opinion and it's rather worthless.  ;D
Shoot'em in the Face!