OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who was the American Wild Turkey Foundation?

Started by GobbleGitr, July 04, 2022, 08:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleGitr

I have found some references to the American Wild Turkey Foundation, possibly based out of Youngwood, PA.  But there is no information I can readily find.  I aware of course of the NWTF and the late American Wild Turkey Society. But I am seeking information on the AWTF, anything you can provide is helpful.  For reference, they appeared to have released annual conservation stamps (like the NWTF) from at least 2000-(perhaps) 2006.  Thanks

GobbleNut

Never heard of this particular organization (was a charter member of AWTS, though).  I would assume it was a fairly localized group.  If I was to guess, it was probably an offshoot organization started by folks disillusioned by the direction NWTF was heading about that same time. 

We did the same thing here in southern New Mexico a few years prior to that,...dissolved our NWTF chapter and started a new organization here called the Wild Turkey Sportsmen's Association.  I suspect there were a number of similar clubs started around the country like that.  WTSA never expanded beyond our local area.

At one point in time back in the early nineties, I actually contemplated starting a western-states oriented organization (Western Turkey Hunters Alliance,...or something similar) with goals similar to what TFT seems to have now,...that is, doing more for wild turkeys, and doing less about putting dollars into the pockets of the leadership. After evaluating all of the time, money, and commitment necessary to get something like that off of the ground, I just wasn't in a position to try to do that.

Getting something like that started on a large scale, and having it sustain itself, is a monumental task.  That's one thing I admire, and have total respect for, was the commitment (and sacrifice) of the founders of NWTF to accomplish what they did.  It's too bad dollar signs ended up clouding their original vision.

TurkeysForTomorrow

GobbleNut, you got that right. It has been a very large commitment to get TFT up and running in just 17 short months, not to tip our own cap, but we have research in 3 states and are working with many well respected universities and state wildlife agencies. When TFT started, we saw the problems the wild turkey faced country-wide and felt like the wild turkey needed the additional help. We still have a monumental task ahead, but for all of us turkey hunters this is a task worth undertaking. We hope the vast majority of the hunters will see our mission and lend their support.

GobbleGitr

Thanks Gobblenut and TFT for the response.  What amazes me is that the organization was well enough organized turkey stamps for several years...yet there is virtually no information available.  If not for the 'wild' in the org name, my assumption would have been that it was more livestock oriented.  I think Gobblenut must be correct in that the group was localized...I found one PA hunter whose obituary listed the organization as one he was active in.  Hope to get a bit more info.

Greg Massey

I would check with that area's local wildlife office, more than likely someone who has been with the department a long time might just have some information.

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 05, 2022, 09:28:22 AM
Never heard of this particular organization (was a charter member of AWTS, though).  I would assume it was a fairly localized group.  If I was to guess, it was probably an offshoot organization started by folks disillusioned by the direction NWTF was heading about that same time. 

We did the same thing here in southern New Mexico a few years prior to that,...dissolved our NWTF chapter and started a new organization here called the Wild Turkey Sportsmen's Association.  I suspect there were a number of similar clubs started around the country like that.  WTSA never expanded beyond our local area.

At one point in time back in the early nineties, I actually contemplated starting a western-states oriented organization (Western Turkey Hunters Alliance,...or something similar) with goals similar to what TFT seems to have now,...that is, doing more for wild turkeys, and doing less about putting dollars into the pockets of the leadership. After evaluating all of the time, money, and commitment necessary to get something like that off of the ground, I just wasn't in a position to try to do that.

Getting something like that started on a large scale, and having it sustain itself, is a monumental task.  That's one thing I admire, and have total respect for, was the commitment (and sacrifice) of the founders of NWTF to accomplish what they did.  It's too bad dollar signs ended up clouding their original vision.
The NWTF spends money on leadership to keep money rolling in to donate to the wild turkey and so that it does not fold, like the WTSA. Not saying the NWTF is perfect, but it us rated pretty high as a nonprofit by several groups. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of money to raise a lot of money and the NWTF is one of the biggest in the nation and does give back a ton to the wild turkey and turns dollars into more dollars by getting matching funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleGitr

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 05, 2022, 11:11:56 PM
I would check with that area's local wildlife office, more than likely someone who has been with the department a long time might just have some information.
Great suggestion-thanks

GobbleNut

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on July 06, 2022, 06:09:54 AM
The NWTF spends money on leadership to keep money rolling in to donate to the wild turkey and so that it does not fold, like the WTSA. Not saying the NWTF is perfect, but it us rated pretty high as a nonprofit by several groups. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of money to raise a lot of money and the NWTF is one of the biggest in the nation and does give back a ton to the wild turkey and turns dollars into more dollars by getting matching funds.

Quite honestly, I probably should not have made the comment about the NWTF.  In my defense, I made it to point out one of the primary reasons for the formation of these offshoot groups, many of which at one time were comprised of very loyal NWTF supporters.  My comment was not necessary and I should just have let "sleeping dogs lay". 

Now that we are here, however, let me ask a couple of simple (and pretty obvious) questions: 
If NWTF is seriously trying to address its primary mission of helping wild turkeys, tell me why does TurkeysForTomorrow even exist? 
Why, with the membership and the funding base NWTF has, is there a need for TFT to be trying to support these entities that are involved in these projects and studies rather than that money coming directly from NWTF? 

Tail Feathers

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 06, 2022, 08:57:50 AM

Quite honestly, I probably should not have made the comment about the NWTF.  In my defense, I made it to point out one of the primary reasons for the formation of these offshoot groups, many of which at one time were comprised of very loyal NWTF supporters.  My comment was not necessary and I should just have let "sleeping dogs lay". 

Now that we are here, however, let me ask a couple of simple (and pretty obvious) questions: 
If NWTF is seriously trying to address its primary mission of helping wild turkeys, tell me why does TurkeysForTomorrow even exist? 
Why, with the membership and the funding base NWTF has, is there a need for TFT to be trying to support these entities that are involved in these projects and studies rather than that money coming directly from NWTF?
The NWTF did a good job fulfilling their mission.  So well, that they seemed to lose direction when turkey restoration was pretty much done.  They branched out into helping handicapped hunters, habitat management and JAKES for kids...and not much else.  Now they need to return to their roots and figure out what is happening to the turkeys.  I don't know what efforts they've made in that direction, but they should shift most of their money to that end right away.  TFT seems focused on that mission as their primary focus.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 06, 2022, 11:42:56 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on July 06, 2022, 08:57:50 AM

The NWTF did a good job fulfilling their mission.  So well, that they seemed to lose direction when turkey restoration was pretty much done.  They branched out into helping handicapped hunters, habitat management and JAKES for kids...and not much else.  Now they need to return to their roots and figure out what is happening to the turkeys.  I don't know what efforts they've made in that direction, but they should shift most of their money to that end right away.  TFT seems focused on that mission as their primary focus.
NWTF gas donated lots of money and personnel to wild turkey decline studies. Much, of which, state agencies do not even look at when deciding on seasons and limit restructures.

I said NWTF was not perfect. But TFT solely exists because someone, write or wrong, thought they could do it better.  I will say many people get frustrated because 100% of the money does not stay local. If you look at the majority of orgs in which money does stay local, percentages say they will not last long. There has to be some infrastructure and checks and balance system. I have known of local orgs that bought equipment, seed, fertilizer, etc for chapter members, all in the name of conservation.

Compare the turkey population now to what it was in was past. Once it reached a certain level, the NWTF decided to best way to keep it there for the time being, was to increase recruitment. They still provide money for habitat work and seed and help acquire land. Because of certain restrictions they can't just release turkeys anywhere they want any more.

It is not perfect, but they have an incredible matching ability. So, if all of those members of TFT had bought a membership to NWTF each dollar would have been multiplied. I know nothing about TFT but hope they succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk