Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Status Report?...

Started by GobbleNut, May 23, 2022, 02:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

A Guesswho is a cross between a Bobcat and a Ninja, or an armadillo and a circus monkey, I forget which.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

reflexl

Quote from: eggshell on May 24, 2022, 04:41:19 PM
Reflexl, your alive and posting....I take that as a win and successful season. I think the team ought to get bonus points for have a tough SOB on our team. I hope your recovery is full and without further complications. If anyone on this forum or even this team thinks you failed to contribute, well I can't really post what I'd like to say to them! Be well and be blessed.

Oh yeah, I am done. The turkeys opened a can of whoop arse on me this year. It has been many many years since I had my hat handed to me like this, but I guarantee you I will be back with a vengeance, God willing. I already have plans to make 2-3 pay for their insolence this fall.

I am alive and working so that is a plus. Having a harder time getting all my strength back this time. Probably back to 80% which is much better than I was. I attribute my recovery progress to eating a pan of sabbatical nuggets every day. I am doing low sodium seasoning on them so there is that.

guesswho

You cut their nuggets off and eat them?   That's hardcore!   That should be worth 70 points on our teams score sheet, 75 if you ate both of them.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

crow

If it was a swamp sabbatical,
does a meal of deer tongue and sabbatical nuggets count as a surf and turf dinner.

randy6471

I also have learned a lot of new and interesting things from you GOATS this year. In fact, I was seriously thinking about trying my luck at sabbatical hunting in 2023....that is until I just realized that sabbatical hunters like to cut the nuggets off and eat them after shoot one. Wow..I think I'll just stick with turkeys!

GobbleNut

New total score for GOATS as of 5/26 with all sabbaticals accounted for, with or without nuggets, is 581.4875 with crow's latest upgrade.  Could go even higher with some team members still hunting!   Not bad for a bunch of misfits thrown together at the last minute.  Hate to point out the obvious, but the only explanation I can think of is that our showing must be the result of somebody's superior captaining abilities!   ;D :toothy12: :angel9:    :newmascot:

guesswho

Well done team.  Most of us can't spell Martigraw galapavio, but we know how to Kill'em.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

eggshell

hmmm, just think what our score could have been if our captain hadn't taught us to fire a warning shot first.

Superior, isn't that a lake somewhere?

guesswho

Warning shot :TooFunny:  I love a good warning shot or shots story.   Especially someone else's.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: eggshell on May 27, 2022, 07:58:46 AM
hmmm, just think what our score could have been if our captain hadn't taught us to fire a warning shot first.

You forgot to mention the "and don't you ever come back here again" second shot.  It takes decades to develop the skill level needed to accomplish that one!  There are few turkey hunters that can pull that off.  We are a very exclusive club!   ::) ;D

Happy

Y'all talk about all the warning shots that you want to. I am just gonna sit quietly and listen. I know better than to jinx myself. But yeah I have missed one or three in my day.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 27, 2022, 08:31:35 AM

You forgot to mention the "and don't you ever come back here again" second shot.  It takes decades to develop the skill level needed to accomplish that one!  There are few turkey hunters that can pull that off.  We are a very exclusive club!   ::) ;D

At these rarified levels of accomplishment, one may boast of a net positive effect on the turkey population.  For every one turkey taken, two are educated to a practically unkillable level.    ;D

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 27, 2022, 08:31:35 AM

A founding member here.   And I have taught that skill to a select few, most don't have the composure to become a certified full fledged member. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

crow

Not my favorite but did some local hunting last couple days, went in late yesterday afternoon to a spot I had heard a single roost gobble come from the day before, windy rainy morning. this place only has 2 practical setup spots, risky trying to get from one to the other without bumping turkeys.

Hen yelped and clucked off and on, no response. About an hr. from roost time I mixed in some gobbling on one of Jack "Pappy's" tube calls and some Jake yelping on "Guesswho's" cane yelper in with the hen clucks and yelps, got an immediate response of gobbler yelps and clucks under 100yds. sounded to my ear more like gobbler yelps, but hard to tell. the 1 single gobble the day before also sounded gobbler not Jake.

waited 10 minutes and I did some Jake yelps, got a quick response of clucks and yelps, sounded closer maybe 60yds, very thick in there and over the hump of a ridge. This has the makings of a fall hunt and has a good feel to it.
And Then, fireworks start going off on the farm down the road, and keep going off for about 15 minutes

Then silence, no more fireworks, no more turkey yelps.
I wait about 20minutes after fire works quit, gobble and Jake yelp, silence. sat there till dark so as not to bump him if he was hanging around, didn't hear him fly up, and slipped out of there. today was a legal day off for them.