North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Style Poll

Started by CASH, February 06, 2011, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite turkey hunting style?

Run n Gun
25 (13.6%)
Sit and Call Em In
24 (13%)
Bushwhack Em
2 (1.1%)
Shoot Em Off the Roost
4 (2.2%)
Both 1 and 2
129 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

PANYHunter

I voted for 1 and 2.  Usually its a combo depending on the birds that day or how spooked they are.  I don't see the problem with bushwhacking though and use that method sometimes.  Not trying to compare deer and turkey hunting but bushwhacking is how most people hunt deer. 

Assassin

turkey slayer

1 and 2 for me!, not a big fan of bushwhacking, not saying that I wont do it I just feel like Im cheating???

hobbes

I voted 1 and 2, although there seems to be some variation on what is considered "run and gun".  I have bushwacked em, I've heard it refered to as bobcatting, and while it isn't as fun, I sure never felt like I was cheating.  Somehow slithering on my belly a couple hundred yards through mud and weeds while taking my chances with the snakes doesn't seem like cheating.  Some of you have this false sense of taking the morally higher ground by promising a tom a little "action" and then introducing him to the business end of a 12 ga.  Do you really think he thinks that is fair?  I'd bet he'd opt for his chances with the sneak attack. ;D

I would compare roost shooting to spotlighting deer.

jbrown

My favorite is early mornin fly down, but I do a lot of runnin and gunnin

Basser69

1 and 2 is the only way to fly  :newmascot:

OLE RASPY

Quote from: hobbes on February 07, 2011, 03:22:15 PM
I voted 1 and 2, although there seems to be some variation on what is considered "run and gun".  I have bushwacked em, I've heard it refered to as bobcatting, and while it isn't as fun, I sure never felt like I was cheating.  Somehow slithering on my belly a couple hundred yards through mud and weeds while taking my chances with the snakes doesn't seem like cheating.  Some of you have this false sense of taking the morally higher ground by promising a tom a little "action" and then introducing him to the business end of a 12 ga.  Do you really think he thinks that is fair?  I'd bet he'd opt for his chances with the sneak attack. ;D

Exactly hobbes u hit it right.u know how to explain stuff well better than me but i can tell it in person.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I voted #4.....

now before everybody gets their panties in a wad, let me clarify something.....

I DO NOT KILL TURKEYS WHILE THEIR FEET ARE ON THE LIMB

however, 75% of the turkeys I kill are on the initial set-up off the roost.

when we don't kill 'em right off the tree, we typically bounce around with crow calls every 200-300 yards in areas turkeys like to try and strike gobblers.

PANYHunter

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 07, 2011, 04:57:27 PM
Quote from: hobbes on February 07, 2011, 03:22:15 PM

Exactly hobbes u hit it right.u know how to explain stuff well better than me but i can tell it in person.

x2

DMP

Quote from: CASH on February 06, 2011, 05:41:21 PM
By the way.  If you vote #4, be prepared to catch a lot of grief.

My personal hunting style is whatever the birds are demanding that day.  Sometimes a little of the first 2.

Spot on... :fud:

savduck

A little of 1,2, and 3. What ever it takes legally.
Georgia Boy

Muskie03

I run and gun for turkeys and GIRLS.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

3chunter

I'm an aggressive turkey hunter most of the time...if I am by myself. I'm a little more slow when I'm with someone else.  If you have great woodsman skills and know how and when to move then a lot of times you can kill birds a lot quicker then the average joe.  You have to let the gobbler dictate what YOU do however.   

paintbrush

My "favorite" style is run'n'gun. I will sit and wait them out if I have to, or if the piece of land I'm hunting on is small. I just like to go out and make things happen if possible.

Crutch

My favorite style is when the odds are against me. Expecially when there are several sets of eyes looking for that sexy hen.  That could be any situation.  Oh, except before flydown.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble: