Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Flood Gates are Opening!!

Started by JeffC, April 06, 2022, 07:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillclimberWV

Im on the board. Scored around 53. Will get pictures up later. I have to go to work.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Muzzy61

notsure

Nice bird Hillclimber. Congratulations!

JeffC

Yes Sir, way to get it done Hillclimber!!  :dancingturkey:

lacire

Nice bird congratulations, when you get time maybe you can let us here your story.

JeffC

Great Job with pictures Hillclimber, Congrats again, I will get it posted up tonight. Looking forward to the story!!

HillclimberWV

Quote from: lacire on April 18, 2022, 11:12:31 AM
Nice bird congratulations, when you get time maybe you can let us here your story.

It was on a piece of private that I just got access to about a month ago. I stepped foot on the property for the first time Saturday morning. The property is about 260 acres with 2 main ridges running the length of the property. The ridges run out into an open field which borders up to the main road. When I was in their Saturday I saw a couple of hens milling around in the field on my way out. There was plenty of feeding sign across the property so I knew it had to hold several birds but didn't hear a single gobble. I was going to wait to hunt this property until later in the season but it is very close to my house and since I didn't have the whole day off from work I figured id give it a shot.

The forecast today was supposed to be windy with rain starting around 8am and lasting throughout the day. I decided to make my way to the back of the property as far from the fields as possible and set up on the densest portion of Turkey sign I found. My thought was if nothing is working good off the roost I could always work my way back to the fields closer to my truck. I got into the spot I wanted around 5:30 and camped out waiting on daylight. Right before daylight I heard a gobble behind me back towards field edge.  That was the only gobble I heard today. It was far enough away that I decided to stay put and call softly to see if I could get another bird to fire up. It started to rain just as it was getting daylight enough to see. Right around 6:45 I had a hen fly down to within 20 yards of me and start feeding. I watched her feed past me and I stayed put until about 7:30. It was raining so hard at that point that I couldn't hear anything and I was tired of getting wet.

I started working my way back towards the field staying just off the top of the ridge as I went. As I got within Eyesite of the field I stopped and called on my wingbone for a couple minutes. I was still just under the top of the ridge and decided to ease over the top of it to check the field on the other side. As I poked my head over I could see a white head bobbing towards me. I hit the dirt and positioned myself with a big white oak between me and the gobbler. At the time he was the only bird I saw for sure. I kept inching my way to the base of the tree and when I got in position to lift my head up high enough to see over the edge a hen pops her head up not 10 feet from the end of my gun barrel. I thought for sure my goose was cooked. I was still laying flat on my belly in shooting position in a staring contest with this hen. Directly another head pops up into view then another and another. Another hen puts from behind the tree and the 4 hens move out of my eyesight behind the tree. They are still within 5 yards of me as I hear them start moving to my left. I knew i saw a gobbler in the bunch but he had not come into view yet. I swing the gun slowly to the left side of the tree and wait. Soon 4 hens and 3 gobblers come into view working to my left maybe 10 yards away. I picked out the largest of the three. They were all pretty close to the same size I'd say they were all 2 year old's. I let them drift off to about 20 yards so my pattern wasn't so tight and clucked one time. The one I picked out stop long enough for me to cut loose with the longbeard xr's. There was a few seconds where I thought about letting him walk since it was opening day and he wasn't huge but I quickly shook that off.  I was back to the truck by 8:30.

I really like it better when they are gobbling their head off but that just doesn't always happen.

Muzzy61

JeffC

Great hunt, take those "gifts" when they show up. Congrats again, and thanks for adding date, we forgot when making score card. Now you can spur hunt, ice is broken!!

lacire

Boom, boom, boom, at ten feet I think those hen's would have heard my heart pounding and skedaddle off. Congratulations, great story.

Spellnj3

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Come on AUSTINC, you get that bird posted up, and we are getting closer to the lead...

HillclimberWV

Quote from: lacire on April 18, 2022, 04:01:47 PM
Boom, boom, boom, at ten feet I think those hen's would have heard my heart pounding and skedaddle off. Congratulations, great story.
My heart was definitely racing. It was well worth the price of admission.

JeffC

austinc we need to hear your story on the 2 birds you have taken!!